Marlin 1881

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
bpd
Beginner

Marlin 1881

Post by bpd »

Hello to everyone, I am new to this forum.
I have recently bought a Marlin 1881 with serial No 2942 in 40-60 Cal, barrel is 28" octagonal.
Condition appears to be very good, too good I think, so probably refinished at some time.
All parts have same serial numbers and the bore crisp and bright.
Any historical information if available would be most welcome.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1881

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Bpd;

Unfortunately, the old Marlin records are not complete. The first recorded serial number is 4096 in 1883. A gun with your serial number would most likely have been shipped sometime in 1882 or 1883.
Your Marlin Model 1881 sounds typical of what Marlin was making at the time. The 28 inch barrel length was the standard length along with a full magazine tube that held 10 rounds and weighted in at 9 1/2 pounds. The cost of a Marlin Model 1881 in 1882 was $32.00.
Of the 16,379 Model 1881's actually listed in the old factory records, 6,261 were the .40 caliber. 12,482 are listed with a 28 inch barrel length. Remember, the first 4,000 are not listed, so these numbers are deceiving when the entire production is taken into account. There certainly are more guns in .40 caliber than listed, and more with 28 inch barrels than listed.
Unfortunately these early guns cannot be verified and what is given here is about all that can be determined at this time.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Maybe you could post some good pictures. Sounds like a very nice rifle that would be nice to see.

Brent
bpd
Beginner

Post by bpd »

Regnier,
Many thanks for your quick reply, it's pity we can't buy one for $32.00 now, I paid £1000 for mine.
It's my intention to shoot this rifle in the near future, so will need some reliable load information, only punching paper. I have bullet mould that produces
26o grain bullets. Hoping someone on this forum can point me in the right direction.

Brent; I will post pictures as soon as I have figured out how.

Thanks again.
Brian
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Brian, it will be great if you figure out the picture issue, but if you don't then I'll post them if you email them to me at Brentd@iastate.edu

A good load would be a full case of Swiss 1.5 fg black powder (or similar) and your bullet lubed with a decent lube, homemade or otherwise.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Brian,

Here are your photos. Your photos are quite large, each is over 5 Mb, I had to reduce them to 18% of their original size to get them to fit into the 1000 pixel maximum. This reduces photo quality, but that's what it takes.

It is a beautiful rifle in great condition. I hope it shoots as well as it looks.

I would also like to hear a good bit more about that tang sight. I have not seen one quite like it. That, and the front sight look like after market additions, but really nice quality.

I'm sorry that I don't have any smokeless loads to suggest. I know many people do shoot smokeless with cast bullets in rifles like this, but I am not one of them.

bpd
Beginner

Post by bpd »

Brent,
Thanks for posting photos. Re tang & front sight, they are home made. I have in my small collection a rifle by W.W.Greener, it's a 310 cadet
"Sharpshooter Club Mk2" and is fitted with a tang sight by W.W.Greener, Model No. S741. More information about gun and sight can be
found herehttp://www.rifleman.org.uk/W.W.Greener_ ... rifles.htm. It's a nice rigid design which I modified to fit the Marlin,
it has to clear the bolt slider when cocking and also needed to be taller.The front sight I also made to suit, it uses Pedersoli sight inserts. In case you are wondering. I am a retired toolmaker with time on my hands and a small workshop. The tang sight is not finished yet as I have to engrave the graduations on it. I have taken photos of the original, hope they show up in post.

Brian

https://www.dropbox.com/s/giicwnhsqq200 ... 2.tif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/boc2rj1gzs1xc ... 1.tif?dl=0