Case hardened Model 336

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
scosgt
Beginner

Case hardened Model 336

Post by scosgt »

I just acquired a Model 336 (NOT C) made 1975. It appears to have a case hardened receiver. I don't know how to post pictures, so I made a quick Youtube video.
Any info appreciated. Paid a shooter price, so just interested if anyone has any info since I don't find any references to case hardened 336's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH5pber-XVc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH5pber-XVc
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Case hardened Model 336

Post by marlinman93 »

Definitely not Marlin's work. Looks like they brass plated the lower trigger plate also.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
scosgt
Beginner

Post by scosgt »

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it is worth the $250 I paid for it.
shootrj2003
Marksman

Post by shootrj2003 »

It is an oddly mixed finish rifle ,the receiver is the most "unique" case hardening I have ever seen,As is the brass plating on the trigger group,it will probably not command a higher price from a buyer and even less from a dealer,however in today's market it should at least allow you to break even or maybe another $50 if it's a good shooter maybe more if the buyer likes the custom finish.
You could keep it and shoot it yourself,and have it refinished though deplatng might be an extra charge,bluing over case hardening is done also Cerrakoting is an option that will probably be the cheapest option for a good looking ,permanent durable finish in a color of your choice.
Normally I would refinish and reblue if I owned it( unless the owner liked the finish ,it's not my preference but that's only my opinion)however the brass plating will not reblue and I am not totally familiar with bluing over case hardening.however,Cerakote will as far as I know go over anything metal and is as permanent as you can get.there are other cheaper ways to cover a multitude of sins but not professional gun methods.it is,to me worth at least $250 if it hits the target.that is not an offer that would be against the rules just my opinion of it's worth.
being of a mind that an armed populace is a free populace.... i'm armed!
shootrj2003
Marksman

Post by shootrj2003 »

Can you do a video again and show the whole gun it may be more ttractive as a whole then it's other qualities may outshine its odd case hardening I wish I could see it live, am a sucker for orphans.
being of a mind that an armed populace is a free populace.... i'm armed!