Help with info on a Marlin 97

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
oldmanBill

Help with info on a Marlin 97

Post by oldmanBill »

I have inherited a Marlin lever action .22 rifle and would like to get some information about that model. The barrel is round, I'v seen pictures of hex barrels, and the serial number is A7713. I would like to know how to age the gun, I suspect it's fairly old, and where I can get an estimated value for it. I have no need for the firearm so I will be looking for a place to sell it. I thought of going to Dick's Sporting Goods but not sure that's the best place. Thanks for any help you can give.
Bill
oldmanBill

Re: Help with info on a Marlin 97

Post by oldmanBill »

After looking on this site some more I see that it was made in the 1911-1912 era and that is was assembled from parts in stock during the WW1 manufacturing times. That leaves me with the question of where to get a reliable estimated value. Any ideas?
Bill
cj57
Marksman 1st Class

Post by cj57 »

Bill,
Some good photos would help, it could be a 100.00 parts gun to $1000.00 depending on condition. So without photos no will guess.
Clark
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Oldmanbill;

The guns with the "A" prefix serial number were later than 1911-1912. More like 1916-1917.
I do not know where you live, but Cabela's has a "Gun Library" that handles antique firearms much like yours and would be a better place to go. I do not think that Dick's Sporting Goods handles antiques.
As Cj57 mentioned, pictures here would help, and someone may be able to get you a pretty good estimate of value to have on hand if you were to go to a dealer to sell it. With an estimate from here, a dealer would not be able to take advantage of you.
Good luck..........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.