Marlin Trigger Trip Device

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
JT159089

Marlin Trigger Trip Device

Post by JT159089 »

I've heard of mid 1950s Marlin's with a device that trips the trigger on the closing stroke of the lever. Was wondering if this is true or an unsibstantiated rumor, if it is true does anyone have a picture of one.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Trigger Trip Device

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jt159089;

Marlin would not have done that at the factory. It would not have been a safe device to install at the factory.
I had a conversation with William S. Brophy in 1989 (the guy that wrote the Marlin book) about his job at Marlin. He was the Techincal Manager there and investigated accidents involving Marlin firearms. He told me of a time when someone was "playing rifleman" with his Model 336 when the breech bolt blew out the back of the receiver, inflecting an injury to the shooter by passing right through the side of his body. The shooter tried to sue Marlin, so Bill had to find out how the accident happened. It turned out the gun was just dirty enough that the locking bolt did not get locked up, but the two piece firing pin stayed in firing position and when the hammer followed the breech bolt back, the locking bolt did not lock, but the firing pin connected with the cartridge and the explosion caused the breech bolt to fly out the back of the receiver.
If there are any trigger devices out there, and I am sure there are, they are either done by a gunsmith or by an individual.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.