Model 97 Bolt Issue

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Hunter 1

Model 97 Bolt Issue

Post by Hunter 1 »

I recently purchased a Model 97 22 cal. Before shooting it I took it to my gunsmith for inspection. He found that everything seemed fine except that a small part of the bolt seems to have broken off which is affecting the ejection or extraction. He has no pubs that illustrate or give him an idea what the piece would look like if it were there, so he can't do anything until he knows what he's attempting to repair. I don't know anyone locally who has a Model 97 he could physically look like so I'm looking for any ideas or sources for illustrations or replacement bolts (if necessary.) Are Model 97 bolts interchangeable with any Model 39s or other Marlin rimfire rifles?

Any help would be appreciated.
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Re: Model 97 Bolt Issue

Post by Hunt4em »

Hunter1,
The bolt from a 39 or 39A will fit a 97 but will have to have minor adjustment to work correctly. A 39A bolt would allow you to shoot what ever .22 ammo you would like as where the original bolt would restrict you to sub sonic or target ammo. I can't say what part of your bolt is broken by your description but I would suspect someone has shot high velocity ammo through the gun and caused the breakage. Look on wisenersinc.com as they have illustrations of these old Marlins and sell re-man. parts and may have the part you need. Good luck!

John
Hunter 1

Re: Model 97 Bolt Issue

Post by Hunter 1 »

John, Thanks for the help. My gunsmith - after nearly a month looking - had a customer bring in a 39 for a minor repair and was able to make the very simple and minor repair to the bolt so it is now working again. I will seriously consider replacing the bolt with a 39 or 39A bolt as it would be great to shoot hi-velocity ammo in it. In any case, I do have a lot of standard velocity 22s from days gone by and 22 shorts that will keep this old rifle busy with critters and such. Thanks again.
Hunter 1