Model 39A

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
handyman10_100

Model 39A

Post by handyman10_100 »

I recently saw a Model 39A priced at about $1500. It was a round barrel with a 4 digit "B" prefix serial number. Bluing was around 95%, wood had some prominent use marks. What makes that gun so valuable? The reason I ask is that I have a 3 digit serial number gun that I use fairly regularly. I'm not with the gun right now but I don't think it has a letter prefix. I recall checking many years ago and determining it was made in 1949. I'd say it's at about 85%. Wood is in good shape but shows use wear on the original finish. Do I need to retire this thing and get it appraised??
Many thanks in advance
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 39A

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Handyman10_100;

A Marlin Model 39-A with a B prefix serial number is an early gun made in 1940. Model 39-A's made prior to WW II had case-colored receivers instead of a blued receiver that started after the end of WW II. These early, case-colored guns have a little more collectable interest and therefore more value than the guns made after WW II. Your Model 39-A, made in 1949 is still a collectable rifle in that it has the early, Ballard style rifling instead of the newer, patented Micro-Groove rifling Marlin has used since 1954. There are collectors out there wanting the earlier guns for their collection, so take care of the "ole girl".
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
handyman10_100

Re: Model 39A

Post by handyman10_100 »

Thanks!!! I'm a shooter not a collector, but I didn't want to continue using a highly collectable piece. I guess I'll try to find a more modern lever gun that feels as good just in case.