Old Marlin shotgun

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
T-Town friend

Old Marlin shotgun

Post by T-Town friend »

I recently came across an old Marlin 12GA pump shotgun. thumb action release button on top of receiver, safety just in front of the trigger...#3357 located on bottom just in front of loading ramp.
Marlin Firearm Co New Haven Conn USA on left side of barrel. Pat'd may12, 1896, June 2, 1896, Mar 29 1904, Aug 7 1906 Mar 24 1908 may 1908 Nov 23 1909 Dec 2 1909 just under the previous Marlin information. Fully functional. belongs to a 74 yr old gentleman that claims it was his grandfathers. Any information would be helpful. He's looking to sell it.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Old Marlin shotgun

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

T-Town Friend;

Sounds like a Marlin Model 28, hammerless, pump action shotgun from the patent dates listed. The Model 28 was Marlin's first hammerless version of the pump action shotgun, and was made from 1913 to 1923. There are no factory records on any of the hammerless shotguns, so no production information is available. There were six (6) grades of the Model 28 produced, the standard or A grade, a nicer version with checkered stocks B grade, the better, factory engraved with checkered stocks C grade, the even better or best D grade gun with checkered Circassian walnut stocks and better engraving, the Trap grade gun with a straight grip stock and the Trap Special grade gun which was an economical version of the Trap grade gun.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
T-Town friend
Beginner

Post by T-Town friend »

Thank you for your knowledge. I recall the top of the barrel had some nice engraving. I don't recall checkering on the stock. I'll have to send you a picture perhaps. Any idea..or better yet, where might I go to find out a true value on this Marlin 28?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

T-Town Friend;

You might try some of the internet gun sites such as: Gun Broker, Guns International, Auction Arms, and Guns America. I have seen Model 28's on most of those sites from time to time.
Good luck.........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.