marlin model 97

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
dntroberts

marlin model 97

Post by dntroberts »

I have a marlin model 97 22 with serial number 401901. It has heavy engraving on the reciever with one side of a bull elk and the other side of a bear with a deer laying in front of it. The gun has really nice wood with checkering. I have not been able to find a picture of this gun with engraving and woodwork and wonder if any one can help me with it. Like to know value and history of it. Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: marlin model 97

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Dntroberts;

It sounds like you have a Number 5-4 engraved Model '97. The serial number is to high for the old Marlin records, but with a 401,000 serial number range, it may have been made around 1908/1909.
If you go to James Julia Auction Company's website (http://www.jamesjulia.com) and look at lot #1202, you should see a picture of your gun or one quite similiar.
There is also an estimated value of what the auction company expects that particular gun to bring at auction. Bear in mind, that your gun would have to be very similiar in overall condition to be worth the same values. And, sometimes, auction prices exceed the actual value because a couple of bidders get carried away at times.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
dntroberts

Re: marlin model 97

Post by dntroberts »

thank-you that is the exact gun on the auction website