early Marlin 1895

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Doc Neeley

early Marlin 1895

Post by Doc Neeley »

Hi folks,

A friend brought a rifle for me to look at today and it's like no 1895 I've seen. It's a early gun but I can't find a serial number. The reciever was nickle or silver plated and it has scroll floral engraving and a game scene with a deer and trees. Barrel is 24"and it's chambered in 33 WCF. The wood looks to be premium and it was checkered on the grip although much of the checkering is worn smooth with age and handling. Was this a special edition or maybe done after purchase. The engraving is very professionally done.
Not my gun but it really piqued my curiosity and hopefully someone can shed some light on it. Thanks, Doc
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: early Marlin 1895

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Doc;

Interesting. You may have to remove the butt stock to find a serial number, stamped on the side of the upper receiver tang. If the barrel is the original barrel to the gun, then the gun would have been made sometime after 1912, as that is when Marlin brought out the Model 1895 in .33 WCF caliber.
The engraving may well be original as well, especially since the gun has a pistol grip stock with checking and plating. Without seeing it (or pictures) it would be difficult say it is factory engraved as the Marlin factory records end in December of 1906 at around 355,500. Should you find a serial number, and it is under the 355,500, then it may be possible to look it up in the factory records to see what is listed. Of course, that would indicate the barrel has been changed at some point in time.
For now, that is about all that can be said about this Model 1895.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Doc Neeley

Post by Doc Neeley »

Thanks. I think the barrel is original and I found out what it is. It's a 1895 Deluxe. I found a couple online at Rock Island and Mertz. Unfortunately, this rifle doesn't look as nice. The gun belonged to the uncle, now deceased, of the friend who brought me the rifle, and it's been well used. The game scene is barely visible from carrying I am sure. The wrist of the butt stock has been repaired and the forearm isn't checkered so it's a replacement and it's cracked too. LOL. The bore is good so it's still a shooter. :lol: Thanks again. Doc
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

Doc Neeley; The Marlin serial numbers post 1906 are somewhat still a guess as
there are no records as stated earlier. The Model 1895 was not a good seller for
Marlin so it is quite possible for a model 1895 receiver to still be in the parts bin
with a pre 1912 serial number ,so it would have been quite easy for Marlin to in-
stall a 33 cal. barrel. It is also possible that there may have been a completed
rifle to have been sitting in the warehouse in one of the earlier caliber's as such
the barrel could have been removed and replaced with the 33 caliber barrel in
hopes of a sale.