Model 28?

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
linford

Model 28?

Post by linford »

I was just given an old Marlin hammerless shotgun. I believe it is an early Model 28. It has no model designation, a 7000 series serial number and a round - grooved fore end. The last patent date on the barrel is Dec 21, 1909.
The old girl is solid, but somewhat blue worn. Would it be safe to shoot? Where could I find dissassembly instructions?

Thank you.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 28?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Linford;

The Marlin Model 28 was Marlin's first hammerless, pump action shotgun and was made from 1913 to 1923. It was made in 5 grades, the standard or "A" grade, the better "B" grade that had a Special Smokeless Steel barrel and checkered stocks, the better yet, "C" grade that had the checkered fancy walnut stocks and SSS barrel with factory engraving, the best "D" grade that had Circassian walnut, checkered stocks, SSS barrel and even better engraving. Then there is the "T" or Trap gun and the "TS" or Trap Special. Sounds like your gun falls into the "A" grade line.
The 7,000 range serial number will put it fairly early manufacture range. The Marlin Company issued a warning several years ago about shooting the old, pump action shotguns, but to me, it was more for the old, exposed hammer guns than the hammerless versions. The internal locking systems are completely different and there is really no danger of the breech bolt flying out of the action. Just be sure to use light loads to be safe!
I know of no disassembley instuctions anywhere, but about the only thing to really know is not to disassemble the trigger assembly without proper tools or knowledge. A good parts diagram is helpful, and Numrich Gun Parts Corporation has them online.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
linford

Re: Model 28?

Post by linford »

Thank you Regnier