Marlin 19 N Ser # 2230 info

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
georgejr

Marlin 19 N Ser # 2230 info

Post by georgejr »

My Grandpa's old gun, Wondering about when it was made. I believe it is a grade A Plain ribbed forend, smooth stock. Condition is fair to good. Has been used in the field. Barrel outside is only place I can see some previous rust spots on last 1/3 of barrel. Cycles good, have not shot and understand the size shell and pressure issue. Plan on keeping as a keepsake but also like to have info to go with the gun to tell my kids about it.

Thanks,

Steven
georgejr

Re: Marlin 19 N Ser # 2230 info

Post by georgejr »

I should note this is a 12 Gauge Open Hammer with no ser number on the barrel and 2 pat dates on barrel are
PAT'D Mar. 24 May 19 1908 Nov 23 1909 2 Patents - Patents Pending (Yes Mar. 24 and right after w/o year is May 19 1908)
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Georgejr;

The fact that your barrel as 2 patent pending date stamps, with a low serial number leads me to believe that you have a later Model 19, exposed hammer pump action shotgun. By later, I mean after 1916, and around 1917 or so. The Marlin Arms Corporation and Marlin-Rockwell both assembled guns from parts on hand during the war years to keep employees busy between contracts.
According to Brophy, the Model 19 was discontinued in 1907, but there are to many out there for only two years of production and the serial numbers are to high in may cases. The last patent date you list is 1908, proving that this Model 19 was made sometime after 1908. Now, all exposed hammer, 12 gauge barrels are interchangable, so the barrel could have been changed out, but I doubt it. Your low serial number is to low for the first run serial numbers of the exposed hammer shotguns as in 1915, Marlin stated that they had made over 150,000 of them. For a seial number that low to be on a shotgun, it would have to be a Model 1898. So all this leads me to believe that this gun was made after 1916 when the Marlin family sold the business and the new company started over with new serial numbers.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
georgejr

Post by georgejr »

Great information; I was looking up and seeing this info that the 19 was only made in those two years and that didn't match the barrel and the Ser # didn't match what I was seeing on line so your information sheds light as to how and why that may be.
Another thing I noticed was some noted a ser # on the barrel noted what choke it was. no notation on this barrel. I haven't tried to ID the choke size but if I ever get interested i will find a tool/smith to do that.

I would like to do a full breakdown cleaning/lube on this gun and wondered if a break down manual or schematic was available for this gun. Gun functions and was well cared for (for being a true field gun) but hasn't been fired for 25-30 yrs or so. Wouldn't be the first item I tore apart and was able to put back together w/o a manual, but always nice to have a back-up to memory or taking pics while dis assembly.

I hear the warnings not to fire these guns... I found RST (think that was the company's name) that makes low pressure 2-1/2 shells. I'm not one to have a gun that can't be fired, I understand the safety concern (someone might put in high pressure 2-3/4 rounds for example). I would like to do a cleaning and test fire and pop a clay with it with my Dad around to bring back some hold hunting Memories while he is still around. Any insight as to the Marlin ban on using these guns would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the info from this board.

Steven
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Steven;

If you decide to disassemble your Model 19 shotgun, you can always go the very first post on the "SHOTGUN" section on this site. It shows a complete breakdown and re-assembly of a Marlin, exposed hammer shotgun. Now, these things are a little difficult, but it is possible to get them back together. The model used in the pictures has a different hang fire release system than used on early Model 19 shotguns, but otherwise, it is pretty much the same. Also, at the very bottom of the this first post is a link to a website that will give you all the safety checks necessary to show if your shotgun is safe to shoot.
The later produced shotgun barrels (after 1916 or so) were not serialized like the early guns.
The guns can be made safe to shoot with light loads, just make sure it passes the safety checks prior to shooting. So long as the gun locks up properly, they are very safe to shoot as it is a very strong action. The problem is that the locking bolt does not always fall into locking position and then when the gun is fired, the breech bolt can fly.....right back into the shooters face. If the action is clean, and all the safety parts are working properly, then they are safe.
Good luck........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.