obtaining Marlin .40-60 ammunition

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Kilbuck

obtaining Marlin .40-60 ammunition

Post by Kilbuck »

I own a Marlin lever-action 1881 ("Reissue 1893" is the last of the issue dates) chambered for Marlin .40-60. It's been handed down through my family. I'm elderly and since I've never shot it, I'd like to fire a few rounds with my adult son some time since he'll inherit it. Recently I visited with a gunsmith about two concerns relating to safety: (1) where can I get it pressure-tested, and (2) where can I obtain ammunition whose safety I can trust? I had spent some time on the Internet where I found a number of reloader powder recommendations, both in powder type and in grain weight. None of them were the same!! I also found sources that produced and sold cartridges for black powder arms. The gunsmith told me I'd be better off forgetting about firing it because (1) there are a few pressure testing locations and they far from here in the Midwest, and (2) He absolutely would not trust any of the Internet producers and sellers of .40-60 ammunition. He said that if it were his rifle, he'd produce his own and suggested that I do the same by buying a single-stage reloading press, a shell holder, a set of dies, and a simple black powder measure. He said that, other than Pyrodex, he would not trust loads with smokeless that attempted to simulate black powder because of the radically different burning characteristics of black vs. smokeless.

I would really like to fire it, but am not a reloader and don't want to get into that hobby. What are your opinions about pressure-testing and finding safe and reliable sources of ammo?
tallgrassprairie
Beginner

Re: obtaining Marlin .40-60 ammunition

Post by tallgrassprairie »

Kilbuck- Buffalo Arms Company is a reliable source of black powder ammunition. They list a .403 diameter 245 grain 40-60 Marlin @ $46.00 per 20 rounds. They also offer reloading dies and brass cases if you decide to reload your own or have someone reload a few rounds for you. I would suggest that you get a copy of Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West by Mike Venturino and keep it with your rifle- easy to read, and a lot of information on reloading and shooting the 40-60 Marlin, information that future generations of your family will find useful. Tallgrassprairie
Buffalo Arms Co.
660 Vermeer Court
Ponderay, Idaho 83852
1-208-263-6953
www.buffaloarms.com
butplate
Beginner

Re: obtaining Marlin .40-60 ammunition

Post by butplate »

Evening,
I own a Marlin 1881 40 60 Cal.
I shoot mine quite a bit, I just love the way it shoots and handles.
You cain't go wrong using black powder.
I make my brass using 45 70 brass.
I also have worked up a load using Unique Powder so I don't have to scrub the barrel after each use, but start out with black powder and you will be OK.
Jess