(need help) for Marlin model 94

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Nick
Beginner

(need help) for Marlin model 94

Post by Nick »

Hi i have an old Marlin 94 , the markings are all worn off of it . So i can't see the calibre . i've been firing 44-40 cowbow rounds by hornady ,but the shells seem tight at the butt of the shells. could it be because it might be a 44 Mag ??? 44mags are straight and 44-40's are bottle neck. i found this gun when i bought my house 2 years ago , the wood stock has been cut off and also the tip has been sawed off, so there is no more front sight :cry: serial # is 4228?? the two last didgets i can't say ... ohh and the barrel is round not octagon if that helps finding out what it is . thanks :D
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: (need help) for Marlin model 94

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Nick;

A Marlin Model '94 with a serial number in the 422,000 range would have been made sometime near 1912, so it is not a .44 Magnum caliber! Check your chamber for corrosion that may have built up. When the gun is fired, the cartridge case expands, and between the corrosion and the expansion, it would made extraction difficult. If you are shooting .44-40 cartridges in it, then it is a .44-40 caliber gun. You probably could shoot .38-40 cartridges in it, but when they come out, the cases would be split or deformed to the chamber shape and no longer resemble a .38-40 cartridge, so it must be a .44-40 caliber gun. The fact you have a round barrel gun is not unusual as Marlin offered both configurations at the time.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Nick
Beginner

Re: (need help) for Marlin model 94

Post by Nick »

8) thank you so much for the info ,the cases never come out warped or cracked , and you say it was made around 1912 wow thats crazy... i knew it was old but not that old :D . it's a pitty it was sawed off it could have been worth a few buck$$$