Carved-up stock on A1. Now what?

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
missed-again

Carved-up stock on A1. Now what?

Post by missed-again »

Hi everyone. I have my Dad's old 22 Marlin. It's in good shape. From post on the forum I've determined it to be A1, not sure which flavor. It does have a pretty fancy rear sight and it still has the leather strap. Plastic trigger guard. Clip missing, of course. My problem is the stock. Before us kids came along (starting in 1957) dad liked to shoot but the stock did not fit his hand well. So he shaved it down, and quite a bit. The trigger guard is not spaced up 1/8" on washers to clear the tirgger. He also carved in floral/leafy design design on one side. I even have the paper pattern he used.

I know this makes the purist "factory condition" folks have fits, especially when I say I like what he's done and want to preserve it. And when I'm gone, some collector will get to cuss us both.

So, how do I finish this? The stock has has a mix of factory finish and raw wood. Do I just put linseed oil on the raw wood? Or try to stain it to match the stock and then varnish? Or since the stock is ruined from a collector's standpoint, do I sand it off the old finish, restain, and put some poly on it? Or ????

Suggestions welcome!
tigweld
Marksman

Re: Carved-up stock on A1. Now what?

Post by tigweld »

missed-again,
Sounds like from your discription your Dad's A1 might have been in the A1C-A1DL series. The plastic trigger guard,and it sounds like your Dad carved down the wrist area of the stock. The later stocks on the A1's were redesigned,one thing was the wrist area was alot thicker than the original A1 series stock. The forearm would be alot thicker/wider also.

Now as far as refinishing the stock,the later A1's had a stained hardwood stock. I strip the stock with a Zip-strip type product,restain,and finish with the stock finish of you choice.

Good luck with your project
"Let there be Welders,to attach metal things to other metal things"
tigweld
Marksman

Re: Carved-up stock on A1. Now what?

Post by tigweld »

Here's some side by side comparison photos of one of my early A1's and the later A1DL. (http://www.pbase.com/tigweld/early_a1_late_a1dl) Some of the early A1C/A1DL rifles still had the steel
trigger guards until they all changed to the "new" plastic guards.
Click on any thumbnail photo for a closeup.
"Let there be Welders,to attach metal things to other metal things"