Can someone please help me identify this old marlin?

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
ParaBellum

Can someone please help me identify this old marlin?

Post by ParaBellum »

I just picked up this old marlin single shot. It's a single shot lever action and has and octagon barrel it seems to be quite old the latest date on the barrel is 1893. it has no marking on the receiver just the serial # and a 44 stamped under the lever. there is not even an indication of what caliber the rifle is. any information would be greatly appreciated. Also of you could give me an idea of value. Thank you in advance!
https://picasaweb.google.com/efaraone/M ... directlink
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Can someone please help me identify this old marlin?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

ParaBellum;

You have a rare Marlin half breed rifle. That gun started life as a Stevens Ideal Number 44 that someone put a Marlin barrel in. Normally, a Marlin barrel has the caliber stamped on the top of the barrel, just in front of the receiver, but in re-threading the barrel to match up to the Stevens receiver, the caliber marking was removed when the barrel was shortened because of the re-threading.
Since this is some gunsmith altered gun using parts from two different gun companies, it really does not have much value. If you ever figure out what the caliber is, it might be something that is just fun to shoot, but have a compentent gun check it first. Good luck.......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
ParaBellum

Re: Can someone please help me identify this old marlin?

Post by ParaBellum »

Thank you very much the information is much appreciated. I only paid $100 for it and its in great shape so for the price I'm still glad to own it! Thanks again