When was this gun made?

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
MCon

When was this gun made?

Post by MCon »

Hello, all. I recently inherited to guns from my father. One is a Springfield, but the other is a Marlin Model 81-DL-22CAL-S-L-LR.

I'm really interested in any information about the Marlin. My father had at least since the 1970s. It's now in poor condition - it had become so sensitive that my father had wrapped shipping tape around the trigger and bolt (as a sort of warning or reminder) and put it away. He wasn't enough of a gun enthusiast to have it repaired; he turned to the Springfield for garden protection (groundhogs and crows were about his only prey) even though it kicked like two mules.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me about the Marlin. It's a nice looking gun and still has a strap on it, which may be an original accessory.
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Re: When was this gun made?

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Serial number please.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
MCon

Post by MCon »

I've examined the Marlin very closely, including in strong sunlight, and the only number on the gun is the one I put in the first post, Model 81-DL-22 CAL-S-L-LR.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

MCon;

Do not be alarmed that you cannot find a serial number on your Marlin Model 81 DL, .22 caliber bolt action rifle. Prior to 1968, Marlin did not serialize many of the less expensive line of rifles they manufactured. After passage of the Gun control Act of 1968, all firearms were required to have serial numbers and records maintained.
The Marlin Model 81 DL was manufactured from 1941 to 1964 (except during WW II). There are variations of the model that would help narrow down when your gun was made. but we would really need to see a photograph of it to do so. But, it would only narrow down the time frame and not get an exact date.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.

Post by Guest »

Not alarmed, just pointing out it didn't have an individual serial.

I'll try to get a good picture of it tomorrow for posting here.