Marlin Crescent Buttplate

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
dunnyboy

Marlin Crescent Buttplate

Post by dunnyboy »

I inherited some marlin firearms and loose parts, one of which is a crescent steel buttplate. At least, I believe it is a marlin. The profile is essentially identical to the 1893 and 1894 plates I have on rifles, but this one is definitely longer from top to bottom, and the back screw hole is very near the center of the back curve, rather than being toward the bottom of the plate as is true of all the Marlin plates that I have mounted on rifles. Like other Marlin plates, this one is serial numbered in the inside recess, and has a 5 digit number stamped. All the other parts in te box I received were Marlin parts, so I'm thinking this one probably is as well. Any ideas as to what this may fit? I could provide a photo if that would help.
Thanks.
dunnyboy

Re: Marlin Crescent Buttplate

Post by dunnyboy »

Further information, the overall height from top to bottom is 4.450"; rear screw hole is 1.850" up from bottom tip; Width of top wrap-over is 1.380"; Height of top wrap-over from top edge to base is .505". The main difference in this plate and the model 93/94 plates that I am more familiar with, is the heavier and bulkier construction of the top wrap-over, and the location of the rear screw hole. BTW, the serial number is 17676. Thanks.