Marlin A1 bolt handle

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
tigweld
Marksman

Marlin A1 bolt handle

Post by tigweld »

http://www.pbase.com/tigweld/marlin_a1_bolt_handle
Here are some photos and dimensions for the Marlin A1/Ranger 34A bolt handle that a few folks wondered if I could help them out with. Any of the photos can be clicked on for a close-up view. Note that at the base end of the factory made bolt handle there is a small 45 degree bevel shown in two of the photos. This bevel helps engage the bolt handle plunger when placing the handle back into the rifle bolt. If anyone has questions I'll try to answer.
"Let there be Welders,to attach metal things to other metal things"
tigweld
Marksman

Re: Marlin A1 bolt handle

Post by tigweld »

In this photo http://www.pbase.com/tigweld/image/141873595 the highlighted yellow line shows how I have the bolt handle drawn up in the line drawing. The actual "factory" made bolt handle has a slow graceful taper to it as you can see at the top of the photo.
"Let there be Welders,to attach metal things to other metal things"
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Very nice work. Thank you for posting the information.
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
ltden333
Beginner

Post by ltden333 »

Good work Tigweld on the posts that I have just read.

I just rediscovered my very first rifle that I bought with my own paper route money fifty-four years ago. It's a Sears Ranger Model 34A .22 semi-auto rifle. I paid less than twenty dollars for it in 1959 and it was my pride and joy. When I entered the army in 1971, they didn't have to train me too much on shooting because I could shoot almost as well as Audie Murphy and Sgt. York combined, thanks to all the years of shooting that Ranger as a kid. Life went on and somehow it ended up in a closet, forgotten to the world until last week. After thoroughly inspecting and cleaning every part and piece, I took inventory. I had forgotten how tough I had been on this rifle in my youth. Still, I decided to give it a shot and bring her back to life. With great interest, I read your blog several times and was greatly impressed with your integrity, experience and desire to help people. Basically, like the gentleman that needed help with his breech handle, I am in need of a breech handle myself. I've checked with every outfit under the Sun and they are either out, never had one or don't know how to get one. I was able to order several parts from Numrich, such as: breech bolt handle plunger, extractor, extractor spring and two extractor plungers. But, without the breech handle it's kind of like "kissing your sister." I was hoping that you might have a spare handle that I could buy from you. If not, I will follow your tips and see where that takes me. Thanks in advance, Tigweld.