Marlin M-1895 .22 falling block lever action

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
edriggs

Marlin M-1895 .22 falling block lever action

Post by edriggs »

A friend of mine has a Ballard Marlin M-1895 that was his great grandfathers and he is trying to find out how much it is worth as he is interested in selling it. He has recently had the lever action rebuilt and the barrell has been realigned. Any ideas on where I can find this information?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin M-1895 .22 falling block lever action

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Edriggs;

The first thing you need to determine is what model of Ballard your friend has. Marlin made about a dozen different models in different calibers and configurations, and some different configurations within a model number itself. For instance, there is the Number 5 or Pacific Ballard, and the 5 1/2 or Montana Ballard. Big difference in the value just between those two models. When you figure out what model it is, then you can start to determine a value........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
edriggs

Post by edriggs »

I dont' know how to tell what model it is. The writing on the gun says:

Marlin Fire Arms Co. New Haven CT USA
Pattented Feb 9 1875
Ballards Patent Nov 5 1861

22901 is stamped on it as well
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Edriggs;

Unfortunately, that is not much help. There are no records on the Ballard rifles other than a small handful of serial numbers listed among the Model 1881's. All Ballard rifles after 1881 had the Marlin Firearms Company marking on the side of the receiver so we can figure it was made sometime after 1881.
Best thing is to post a photograph of the gun, or give a full description of the gun. We would need to know the caliber, barrel configuration and length, shape of butt stock and if any checking is present. A description of the sights might help, as well as if there is any engraving on the receiver. What type of butt plate is on the butt stock? Describe the lever and if it has a single trigger or double set triggers. With this information, it might be possible to determine which model of Ballard your friend has.
Looking forward to your reply.....
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
edriggs

Post by edriggs »

Sorry it took so long to get the information but here we go. Hopefully this helps.

The barrell is an octogon shaped barrell and is 7/8" in diameter and 26 1/2" long.
The stock is 10 1/2" and the forearm stock is 9 1/2"
There is a full metal butt plate and a single trigger
It is a .22 caliber falling block lever action.

I'm not sure how to post a pic on here or I would do so.

Thanks