Marlin Single Shot Pistol (circa 1922)

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
roxygirl

Marlin Single Shot Pistol (circa 1922)

Post by roxygirl »

I have a single shot target pistol that according to my research was assembled by Marlin back in the 1920’s from parts left over from the a Hopkins and Allen target pistol line that was marketed/sold in 1914.

The firearm was passed down from my grandfather thru my father. My grandfather was a Yale educated mech engineer that worked for a number of the gun manufacturers up and down the Connecticut River Valley in the early to mid 1900’s. It been sitting in my gun safe for years and its apparent that I won’t be passing it down to any of my children. I’d prefer it be passed on to someone that may appreciate it. I know from being in cabelas on a number of occasions that you folks buy/sell collectible firearms. My research indicates that this pistol could be relatively rare (less than 50 assembled under marlin).

I'm looking to find out if annyone knows a value or a resource to develop a value and/or sell it.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Single Shot Pistol (circa 1922)

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Roxygirl;

At the April 25, 26 & 27, 2009, Rock Island Auction Company auction, there were two (2) of the Marlin Single Shot Target Pistols from an advanced Marlin pistol collector that sold. Lots #1374 & 1377. The prices realized were $3,450.00 for each lot. The price listed does include the 15% buyers penalty that the auction house charges the buyers to bid at their auction. This is not to say your pistol will be worth this amount. You would need to compare the condition of your gun against the condition of the two guns sold at auction to get a proper comparison.
I am collecting serial numbers of the Marlin Single Shot Target Pistols in order to try to determine how many were actually made. If you would not mind, could you please send a personal message or an email with the serial number so I can add it to my list of serial numbers of known existing target pistols.
These pistols are hard to find, but the number 50 estimated produced is just that, an estimate as no one really knows exactly how many Marlin made at the time.
My question is, why do you want to sell your grandfather's/fathers pistol? This is a family piece, and I hope you consider giving a family member like a cousin or uncle the first chance to buy the gun in order to keep it in the family.
Good luck..........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
roxygirl

Post by roxygirl »

Regnier,

I'll pull the gun out of the safe tonight and confirm the serial number (from memory its 3333). In terms of your question about passing it along, I would gladly give it to a family member if I thought any of them would appreciate it. I've been the only family member from both sides (siblings, uncles, aunts, cousins) to use or care for the family guns for going on 35 years. Unfortunately, all but this pistol and a 1940's sears roebuck side by side shotgun have been distributed to the family and then subsequently sold off for no particular reason. I'm trying real hard to get the side by side back from an uncle. Although that shotgun is probably not worth much it was the first upland bird gun I ever used and would gladly use it again then pass it down.

Going back to when I was very young I've always been drawn to the pistol which is why i ended up with it. Its different, great tooling etc... My incentive to sell the pistol at this point is that my children and others in the family have shown little interest in the shooting sports. My youngest (7years) and a couple of my nephews like to go out in the field with me when I train my pointer so I'm hoping he and/or they will take up shooting/hunting in the coming years. I'm from Massachusetts and most kids around here don't crawl around the woods like I did growing up. The pistol will have no meaning to them but if I use the sale money to buy his first 22 and maybe 20/28 gauge it will start a new chain of family guns and associated memories.

I'm talking to Cabela's at this point because they have a national market base and I think the best chance to place the pistol with someone who'll appreciate it.

Regards,
roxygirl
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Cabela's will screw you price wise and then sell it to some knothead that knows nothing for to much money. You are better off selling it yourself. Good deals at Cabela's is like finding a virgin on spring break in Florida.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Roxygirl;

Before you sell to Cabelas, I may have a customer for your pistol. If you have not sold it, let me know and I will email him to see if he has an interest. If he does, I will have him contact you directly by email. Cabelas will try to buy it for half price, and this guy did bid on the two at the Rock Island auction. They went a little higher than he wanted to pay, but he was in there.

Roxygirl

Post by Roxygirl »

Regnier,

I checked the serial number on the pistol last night. The correct number is 2233 not 3333.

I still have the pistol so if you have a contact that would be interested let me know.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,
Roxygirl
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Roxygirl;

Thank you for the serial number. With yours, I now have 15 serial numbers in a good wide range of numbers. This is not to say there were that many made as the serial numbers were probably applied to the frame by Hopkins and Allen before the war work took over the factory.
I will contact the collector that may have an interest and have him contact you through this message board. I will let you know either way.
Again, Thank you.

mobydoug
Pro-Marksman

Post by mobydoug »

Roxygirl, I'm very interesed in the pistol you have. You can reach me at chpdoug@q.com, or 303 469 2539. Please call or write at your convenience. Thanks, Doug
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Roxygirl;

So you know, Doug is the collector I was referring to.
Good luck..........to both of you!

roxygirl

Post by roxygirl »

Regnier:

Thanks for your assistance. I'll contact Doug on Wedensday.

Roxygirl
mobydoug
Pro-Marksman

Post by mobydoug »

Roxygirl, I'll be out part of the day, but I will reply to you asap if you'll leave the information. Much thanks, Doug P.S. Congratulations on discovering the 15th target model. Thanks to Rick for hooking us up.