model 1892 with a nickel plated reciever

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
slenig@att.net

model 1892 with a nickel plated reciever

Post by slenig@att.net »

I am new to Marlin lever actions. Have aquired a model 1892 in 32 cal. Only has the centerfire firing pin. Serial number indicates 1900 manufacture or at least shipping, date. Has what appears to be a nickel plated reciever. Overall this rifle is in excellent condition and the finish on barrel, wood, reciever,etc. appears to be original ( has signs of use and wear). I was told that marlin never produced any 1892 model rifles with nickel plating and this must have been added later and therefore destroys any collector value. Does anyone out there have any information on this subject? Any insights would be helpful.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: model 1892 with a nickel plated reciever

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Slenig;

Whoever told you that Marlin did not make the Model 1892 with nickel plating is wrong. Plating was offered as an extra, and depending upon how much of the gun was plated, determined the extra cost.
Just to give you an idea, in 1897, nickel plated trimmings cost an additional $2.00. If you wanted your Model 1892 full nickel plated, it would have added another $3.00 to the cost.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
braidwoodsteve
Beginner

Re: model 1892 with a nickel plated reciever

Post by braidwoodsteve »

thank you for the information. I assume since this option was rather expensive ( $2 was 2 days wages for some folks back then) I was rather rare and therefore should increase the value of the rifle. Any ideas on the amount this would be??