Marlin 1881 Main Spring

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
loggers1
Beginner

Marlin 1881 Main Spring

Post by loggers1 »

Hi; I've been a member of the assoc. for about a year, but just signed on with this compute web paged! I'm not to fast with this search an peck typing! My question is about main springs on 1881 early frame straight grip stock serial no.#754 . I just bought this rifle and has a weak main spring, found co. in Washington state that makes new ones. Order it when it showed up it was to long from center of hole to end was 3.610 were mine is 3.500. Any how talked to them and they said pistol grip or straight grip spring are all the same length just different curve. If any body can help me with a replacement? Thank You
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1881 Main Spring

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Loggers1;

The difference between the original spring (3.500") and the new spring (3.610") is only .110" which is less than 1/8 inch (.125). A fiberglass cut-off wheel in a dremel tool would take care of the very easily. Just cut slow and do not allow the spring to get to hot. I know it would be nice to just find a spring that is the correct length with no fuss or no muss, but you have an early Model 1881, and the main spring was just a little longer on those early guns. Chances of finding one will be slim at best.
Good luck..........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
loggers1
Beginner

Post by loggers1 »

Thank you for the replie though if I cut spring for my rifle I'll be cutting the boss off that fits up into hammer. Do you think that wont be a problem?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Loggers1;

I guess I did not know Wisner's spring had the "boss" on it. Most replacement springs are simple flat springs and cutting it off would not make a difference.
The next option would be to elongate the screw hole (open it up on the long side of the spring to move it rearward) so that when installed, the pressure from the hammer would be pressing against the spring, pushing it rearward. Once the spring is installed and the screw tightened down, it cannot move in either direction. All work would have to be accompolished in a slow manner so as not to overheat the spring. It would help to keep some oil on the point of the drill bit and spring for cooling. It will take a nice, sharp bit, too.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
loggers1
Beginner

Post by loggers1 »

Thank's for the idea! In haste I returned the spring thinking they sent me wrong one,now knowing they make only one length I could use your idea. Plus my first post measurement were wrong, my spring measures 3.500 center hole to end, there's is 3.750 a .250 difference. Thank's Again