1881 information

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
doug536

1881 information

Post by doug536 »

Hi, I have an 1881 with 30" barrel and set triggers. The S/N is 23433. My Great Grandfather carried it to the Klondike in 1898. I have no interest in selling it, so value is not that important. It's a bit banged up anyway, but it would be nice to know when it was made.

Thanks!

Doug Dunn
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1881 information

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Doug;

You forgot to mention that your grandfather's Model 1881 has a pistol grip stock along with the 30 inch octagon barrel in .40-60 Marlin caliber and double set triggers. It was shipped in early 1889 from the factory in New Haven, Ct.
Of the approximately 22,000 Model 1881 Marlin rifles produced, only 780 are listed in the records as having the 30 inch barrel. Only 1,303 are listed with a pistol grip stock, and only 2,929 are listed with double set triggers. 6,261 were produced in the .40-60 Marlin caliber.
Had to imagine someone carrying that heavy Model 1881 in the Klondike. With the magazine loaded, that is one heavy rifle as the extra length barrel is also an extra heavy barrel. All extra length barrel Model 1881's have an extra heavy weight barrel. This rifle would easily weight over 10 pounds with a loaded magazine.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Doug536

Re: 1881 information

Post by Doug536 »

Hi Regnier,
Thanks so much for the data. Its surprising to me that records of that detail still exist from 123 years ago. I really appreciate the research and yes, it is one HEAVY rifle. I remember my Dad making the same comments about lugging that thing all the way up and back.

Again, THANKS, you were very helpful!

Regards,

Doug