Uncompressed Length of 1965 Model 444 Magazine Spring

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
mkh0511

Uncompressed Length of 1965 Model 444 Magazine Spring

Post by mkh0511 »

I would like to replace the magazine tube spring in my 1965 Marlin Model 444. Does anyone know what the magazine tube spring's uncompressed length is for a 1965 Marlin Model 444?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Uncompressed Length of 1965 Model 444 Magazine Spring

Post by marlinman93 »

Most mag tube springs will be about 50% longer than the tube length to work properly.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
mkh0511

Re: Uncompressed Length of 1965 Model 444 Magazine Spring

Post by mkh0511 »

Thanks for the help. The magazine tube measures 14 1/2" long. After I purchased the rifle I took it apart to have it re-blued. The spring that came out of it was 17 1/2" long, but am not sure if it was the original factory spring. The rifle was in bad shape when I purchased it and from the condition of most of the screw heads it had been taken apart many times before. While the gun was being reblued I purchased a new spring from GunParts Corp & it came 24" long. I cut the new spring to the same length as the one I removed from the rifle (17 1/2") and installed it when I put it back together. The rifle cycles the ammunition with no problem----but because the spring I initially took out of rifle may not have been the original, I have been nagged by the question of what the length of the factory spring was (is). I have searched in vain for Marlin specifications on the spring length and am not sure if the new Remington owners could help.

Thanks again for your valuable input and assistance.