Marlin 39 HS Buttplate

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Gunning Bird

Marlin 39 HS Buttplate

Post by Gunning Bird »

Good afternoon folks,

I apologize if this topic has been covered previously...

I've recently come across an early model 39 HS (S/N HSXXX) which is in need of a new buttplate. The approximate dimensions of the stock are (as best my aging eyes can read a machinist's ruler) 1 11/32" w by 4 5/16" tall. Hole spacing is 2 7/8" center to center.

A cursory check online produced several buttplates for model 39's but none that would appear to fit my rifle.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much for your time and input!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 39 HS Buttplate

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gunning Bird;

To big or to small? To big, simply shave it down to fit, then take Krylon's Fusion paint and paint the whole thing to match itself. You can only get gloss black now, so when it is dry to the touch, take oooo steel wool and lightly buff it to take the shine off.
To small, then you have to drill small holes around the perimeter of the butt plate and then press an epoxy putty into the holes and build up larger than the butt stock, all the around the preimeter where it is to small. Then slowly take it down to fit your butt stock. It can be a slow process to make it fit correctly, but when done it will be worth it. When it fits properly, take the Fusion paint and paint the whole thing and steel wool it. When finished, you cannot tell that it is not original if done correctly. I have used this process a number of times with great satisfaction.
I have used this process to repair cracked or broken butt plates as well.
Good luck.......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Gunning Bird

Post by Gunning Bird »

Regnier,

Thanks for your response.

I should have been a bit more specific... The existing buttplate that came with the gun is most certainly too small in height. Width-wise, it fits fine at the widest point.

If I follow you correctly, you are suggesting purchasing an oversized buttplate with the proper center-to-center pattern and then filing things down to fit. I can probably do that. The other option of filling with an epoxy etc. doesn't have as much appeal even though I have experience with similar techniques whilst carving decoys (gunning birds).

Any other help would be much appreciated!

Thank you.
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

Gunning Bird:Some of the late Model 39's and some of the early Model39a's had a flat butt-plate with seven sets of groves
running crossways.It was listed as the Flat Unbreakeable ? It has no markings and was attached by two flathead screws.
If you will check on E-bay under marlin gun parts item # 110673254172 These reproductions more than likely aren't
made of the same material as the original but will serve the purpose.It list's the meausurements and it seems pretty
close to yours. These type of butt-plates were only used for a short while.I guess either Marlin was trying to save money
or rubber was in short supply. I have bought several original butt-plates off of E-bay but these types rarely show up.
Gunning Bird

Post by Gunning Bird »

Marlin 1893,

Thanks for your response. I checked Ebay for the part number you referenced and compared the dimensions to those of my existing buttplate. They match! Unfortunately, both my existing buttplate and the one listed on Ebay are about 1/8" too short in the height dimension.

Am I being unreasonable with a touch of OCD in expecting a good stock to buttplate fit or do I just have the wrong part? :)
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

This is a common problem when trying to do many projects.Is the reproduction part exact ? I have had this
problem just about every time I started a project on an older gun.It is possible that your stock is a replacement
maybe from years ago and the stock was just never completely fitted to the butt-plate.? On earlier Marlin's the
stock most often will be serial numbered to the gun but on this late of of rifle i am not sure.But you are at the
point of deciscion making. You can fit the butt-plate to your stock with some very careful sanding and fitting as
not to take to much at a time but if your stock has a fair amount of original finish you will have a terrible time
trying to match the finish on the sanded part back to original.But if you stock has no finish or has had an oil finish
added latter it is a lot easier to match that back.This all depends on what your after but the repro butt-plate will hurt
the collector value either way if there is any. I am in no way an expert on this so keep that in mind with my advise
this is just what I have run into the past and satisfied myseslf with my results,but if you have a higher grade rifle
with collector value seek other advise.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gunning Bird;

Do not touch the wood. Any attempt to work the wood down to a butt plate is at best amateurish and at worst a hack job. Either way, it will be detected by knowledgeable collectors and reduce the overall value. When the butt plate was fitted to the gun, it was installed on the butt stock and then both pieces were sanded down together on a large drum sander for a perfect fit. The butt plate was removed, serial numbered to the stock and receiver, then everything was polished and finished.
Since your Model 39 is a four digit serial number gun, the correct butt plate is the one that has Marlin in a vertical oval. N. C. Ordnance (www.gungrip.com) has 3 different butt plates that can be used for your Model 39. They are item number B340 which is for the Model 39 and may have to be enlarged to fit your stock. Item B345 is for the Marlin Model 37, another .22 of the era, and may face the same situation. Item B341 is for the Models 42 and 49 Marlin shotguns. These two plates should be bigger overall, and allow you to take the outside perimeter down to the proper diminision. Finish as described before. They have the correct "look" to them for the Model 39 in style and unless compared to an original side by side would be difficult for someone to tell the difference.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

I agree with Gunrunner if I were sure my stock was original to the gun I would try every avenue available before
any sanding went on.I proablly didn't make it clear as to when I mentioned your rifle might having a replacement
stock that just never had the but-plate fitted.They surely will require some sanding.I got to looking and I have a
reproduction but-plate it is the B345 the length is 4 1/2 inches the witdth is 1 5/16 at the hole space is
2 7/8 inch. If you think it might fit I will give you my e-mail and you can e mail me your address and I will give
it to you as I will more than likely never need it.
Gunning Bird

Post by Gunning Bird »

Regnier/Marlin 1893,

Your explanations now make perfect sense. Looks like I need the oversized buttplate which can be ground to fit.

Marlin - Your offer is quite generous and one I'd like to take you up on. However, I'm on my way to work at the power plant this morning and won't have access to personal email until a little later this week (not to mention, we're heavily firewalled so I'm pretty sure that I will not be able to get to this site either). Expect to hear from me towards the end of this week regarding the extra buttplate you have.

Thank you all for your input and time! You all have been most gracious.
Gunning Bird
Beginner

Post by Gunning Bird »

Marlin 1893,

I have registered on the forum but apparently, have not participated enough to send you a PM regarding the buttplate. Thank you!
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

Gunning Bird: I sent you my e-mail address if you don't get it please let me know.
Gunning Bird
Beginner

Post by Gunning Bird »

Thank you very much, Marlin. I have sent you a response via email.
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

Gunning Bird: I received your E-Mail I will be mailing you the Butt-Plate the first of next week.I wish you luck
on it fitting. Marlin 1893