Marlin A1E Restoration

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Mtmntmn

Marlin A1E Restoration

Post by Mtmntmn »

I am in the process of restoring an A1E. The stock had been previously and poorly refinished and I bought it without a magazine. I found Tigweld's post on a mod to the regular Marlin magazine and have done this mod. (Thanks Tigweld for the excellent post.) Mine has the plastic trigger guard and a hard rubber buttplate and the safety on the right side. The 4th coat has just been applied so I can put it all back together tomorrow morning. I think it will look great.

In checking the rifle out I have found a odd feature, Once a round is chambered it must be fired. If you try to eject the unfired round it hits the ejector and with the extra length of the lead still in the barrel and the extractor holding the round the bolt stops mid way. I can see no way to eject a unfired round other than to fire it. Does that sound right to any of you other A1 owners? Also the magazine well plate is much larger than the stock so it looks poorly fit, is that the case on other A1's? And finally my A1 has a large flat spot at the front sight with a small S-2 High Front Sight. What was the reason for the large flat area?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
tigweld
Marksman

Re: Marlin A1E Restoration

Post by tigweld »

Sorry no answer on the unfired round ejection problem.... yet. Will get back with you on that one.
Magazine plate poor fit might be do to the earlier refinishing job on the stock. To much wood removed during sanding,changing the stock contour. The Marlin A1E was a variation which came with a Marlin 12A receiver target rear sight and a hooded target front sight. Makes me wonder if in the rifles lifetime the front sight was replaced.
"Let there be Welders,to attach metal things to other metal things"