What do I have?

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
seadug

What do I have?

Post by seadug »

I have a Marlin Rifle with three dates on barrel 1887 1889 1893 special smokeless steel 32 special. Marlin firearms company New Haven CT USA serial number 392xxx. I measure the barrel from receiver forward at 24.5 inches octagon with a full legnth magazine.
seadug

Re: What do I have?

Post by seadug »

More info to add. Serial number on action behind forearm and an asterisk? in front of writing on barrel.
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

Sounds like you have a Marlin Model 1893.Does the upper tang have any marking on it just
rear of the hammer.The Model is usually marked there.A few of the early 1893's weren't
marked but yours is late enough it should be.Also a tang mounted peep sight will cover
up the markings.The records end in 1906 at around 355000 so you rifle would be made
maybe two or three years later. Just a guess.
seadug

Post by seadug »

Wow tons of info on here if you start looking. It says model 1893 on the tang and I am guessing I had the serial number wrong. The gun has been hanging on a kitchen wall for 40 some years maybe more. It needs a good cleaning but I am hesitant to put the steel wool to it. I cleaned up the serial number and it looks like 3833xx or 3333xx. How old is this gun and does it have collector value or is it a shooter.
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

3333xx would date to around 1906 3833xx would be a guess but maybe around 1808 or 1909.
I would advise leaving off the steel wool and just using an oily rag.
To me all vintage Marlins are collectable but to the actual collector they are in to how much original
finish is left as the condition also if there are any special order features involved.Oil it, have it checked
out to be sure it is safe to shoot, enjoy it and keep it . Its a part of your family history as well as the
Marlin family history as well.