How old is my gun

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Tbone

How old is my gun

Post by Tbone »

I just purchased a marlin 30-30 rc back from a friend I sold it to 18 years ago. I am so excited to have this gun again! On the barrel is a jm with a circle around it and the serial number is J7876 do you know what year it was made? Also what does carbine mean vs a rifle?
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Re: How old is my gun

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Look here for the manufacture date of you Marlin.

http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/ ... f=2&t=7218
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

Tbone:Your rifle with the J prefix would date your Regular Carbine to 1952 this according to Brophy is also
the first year for the Texan.The Texan was one of the Model 336's offered by Marlin with the straight stock.
The term carbine goes way back in the world of fire-arms long before Marlin first advertised them available
in the Model 1889.A carbine can have either the pistol grip stock or the straight stock.For the most part it is
in reference to having a shorter and lighter barrel vrs. the longer and heavier rifle barrels.The carbine can also
be fitted with the sling ring on the receiver latter to be called the Saddle Ring .( Saddle Ring Carbine). The sling
ring was not intended to tie the carbine to the saddle.The 336 was introduced in 1949 and except for the few
Models introduced along the way such as the Texan the Rifles,carbine's and sporting carbines the 336 had pistol
grip stocks.Some Models also had a 16 inch barrel instead of the 20 inch.WE tend to describe a carbine as having
a barrel band to the fore-arm instead of the end cap but that is not always true as Marlin offered carbines with the
end-cap.The term Short Barreled Rifle is more say a rifle with a shorter barrel say 20 inch or so but will be the
heavier type.Back in the day some wanted the shorter barrel but did not prefer the lighter barrel assembled on the
carbines.
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

Thanks to all of you!!. Excellent information. I called my brother tonight as he also has a marlin 30-30 336 rc. So I asked him questions about his gun and amazing his serial number also starts with j so we both have rifles made in 1952 however he has the"Texan". Pretty cool.... Thanks again