1888 32-20 round barrel

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
michigan

1888 32-20 round barrel

Post by michigan »

I have what I believe to be a marlin 1888 with serial number 23970 with a round barrel and half magazine. How do I find out if the barrel is original? I can't find any manufacture marks.

Thank-you for your time.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1888 32-20 round barrel

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Michagan;

Better check that serial number again. The number you listed shows as a Model 1888 with a 28 inch octagon barrel in .32-20 caliber. So, best thing is to remove the butt plate and check the number on the butt plate. It should match the serial number on the gun. Or, you can remove the butt stock itself, and look at the number on the side of the upper tang. Sometimes, over time, certain numbers begin to look like other numbers such as 3's and 8's or 9's get mixed up, alot!
There should be some patent dates stamped on the barrel. Best you list all the patent dates that are stamped on the second line of the barrel marking. It will help determine if your Model 1888 has it's original barrel.
Looking forward to your reply........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
michigan

Re: 1888 32-20 round barrel

Post by michigan »

Thank-you for the helpful information.
All put together there are no markings at all on the barrel when I get a moment to break down the gun I will see if their are any markings hidden by the forend.

If the gun does have a replaced barrel does it have any value. It is in decent shape but the stock appears to be shortened, it now has a 12-12 1/2" lop.

Thanks again for your time.