Determining date of Model 39

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
tim

Determining date of Model 39

Post by tim »

I have a Model 39 and am trying to determine date manufactured, and a range of value. Octagonal barrel, color case hardened receiver, checkering on grip and fore-end. Serial number S 81xx .....i.e. in the 8000's. I know that the gun is pre-1938, but can't find a reliable source for serial numbers. Buckhorn sight in rear, looks like a brass bead on front sight.The rifle is still incredibly accurate..... groups as small as my model 52 at 50yds.
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Re: Determining date of Model 39

Post by Bear 45/70 »

At the top of the "General Gun Questions and Answers" forum is this thread.

Answer to your Questions on "How old is my gun"

http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/ ... f=2&t=7218
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

Bear 45/70 wrote:At the top of the "General Gun Questions and Answers" forum is this thread.

Answer to your Questions on "How old is my gun"

http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/ ... f=2&t=7218
Unfortunately, the Model 39 is not covered in the above thread. It was introduced in 1922, and did not carry a prefix. The S prefix likely was first used in the 1925-26 era, based on serial number ranges for the non and S prefixed rifles. The HS prefix was used beginning in 1932, until the introduction of the model 39A in 1939. Use only standard or target velocity ammunition in your model 39! You will crack the bolt with high speed ammunition (the change in 1932 of the bolt allowed high speed ammunition to be used, hence the "HS" serial code designation). The known S range of serial codes is S696 - S16135, so I would place your rifle in the 1927-29 era.
tim

Post by tim »

Thanks for the approximate dating ...... the gun had belonged to a relative, and late 1920's makes sense

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:33 am.