1965 Marlin Carrying Strap

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
mkh0511

1965 Marlin Carrying Strap

Post by mkh0511 »

I recently purchased a 1965 Marlin Model 444 rifle. The rifle appears to be brand new---totally original----and came with a leather carrying strap. I also have a 1965 Marlin Firearms catalog which shows the rifle with a leather carrying strap that came with it from the factory. The strap on the rifle I puchased has no wording on it but does have a brass hook for adjustment with the words "Straight Shooter" stamped on it. Does anyone know if this was the original carrying strap that Marlin Firearms sold with this rifle in 1965? Thanks!
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Re: 1965 Marlin Carrying Strap

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Both the Marlin straps have Marlin on them.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
mkh0511

Post by mkh0511 »

Thanks! Guess the original got separated from the rifle. Thanks again.
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

Bear 45/70 wrote:Both the Marlin straps have Marlin on them.
Sorry, but this information is incorrect. The Marlin sling did NOT have a logo on it until 1980, according to William Brophy (past Senior Technical Manager of Marlin, historian, and author). You may reference his book (p.670) for a detailed photo of the known slings. When you described your model as "essentially new", it was very hard to understand how or why a sling would have been changed out? The early leather slings were military style, and had different closure and adjustment clips vs the newer style where Marlin found a supplier that would also stamp emboss their logo. Unfortunately, the Marlin catalogs from the 1960s do not contain good photos of the slings offered on the deluxe models. Rest assured your Model 444 from 1965 could be entirely original, and in a condition rarely found. Pictures would be great to see!?
mhh0511

Post by mhh0511 »

Thanks. I have a 1985 Marlin 336ER which I purchased new. It came with the Marlin factory strap which I think the other gentleman may be referring to. It is a strap (as opposed to a military type sling), is 1" wide and has a black metal buckle for length adjustment (as opposed to a two-prong hook that fits into a series of holes in the strap) and does have the Marlin logo on it. I also have the 1985 Marlin Firearms catalog showing this strap. I think that from about 1980 until about 1988 these straps came with the Models 1895, 444, 336ER and maybe the 375 too. After about 1988 Marlin stopped supplying these straps with the gun, but offered them for sale in the "Marlin Store" for about $14. I noticed that when Remington bought Marlin out it stopped offerings these straps in the Marlin Store (along with a lot other neat stuff!).
I have the 1965, 1970, 1971 and 1972 Marlin Firearms catalogs and the leather strap I am referring to is shown attached to the Model 444 in the 1965 catalog stating the Model 444 came with "...sling swivels and handsome leather strap..."; the 1970 catalog showing the same strap on that year's Model 444; the 1971 catalog showing the same strap on both the Model 444 "rifle" (I think this was the last year Marlin made the 444 with the 24" barrel until the XLT series---(the 1971 444 "rifle" has the neat square finger lever). The 1971 Marlin Firearms catalog also shows the strap on the new Model 444 Sporter with the 22" barrel. The 1972 catalog shows the strap on the Model 444 and Models 783, 782 and Marlin Goose Gun.
I don't have any catalogs between 1973 and 1984 but apparently sometime between these years Marlin changed the strap from the one with the brass hook to the one with the black buckle and Marlin logo.
The 1989 Marlin Firearms catalog shows the Models 444 and 1895 with factory studs but no strap.
I just cann't tell from theses catalogs or the information in Brophy's book (in the Model 444 section there is a great picture of Mickey Mantel holding the Model 444 with the strap attached) if the early straps with the brass hook had a Marlin logo on them.
Maybe someone that has a 60s or 70s Model 444 they purchased new with the factory strap can advise.
Thanks again for your comment.
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

mhh0511 wrote: Maybe someone that has a 60s or 70s Model 444 they purchased new with the factory strap can advise.
Thanks again for your comment.
This would be the best and ultimate confirmation, and there definitely is someone on the forum that could verify. I have all of the Marlin catalogs for the last 50 years, so if you ever need reference to something contained within, please feel free to ask! Straight shooting always, chrifle
mkh0511

Post by mkh0511 »

Thanks!

I hope someone has one they can verifiy as a period origianl and let me know. Thanks again for your input.
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

chrifle wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:Both the Marlin straps have Marlin on them.
Sorry, but this information is incorrect. The Marlin sling did NOT have a logo on it until 1980, according to William Brophy (past Senior Technical Manager of Marlin, historian, and author). You may reference his book (p.670) for a detailed photo of the known slings. When you described your model as "essentially new", it was very hard to understand how or why a sling would have been changed out? The early leather slings were military style, and had different closure and adjustment clips vs the newer style where Marlin found a supplier that would also stamp emboss their logo. Unfortunately, the Marlin catalogs from the 1960s do not contain good photos of the slings offered on the deluxe models. Rest assured your Model 444 from 1965 could be entirely original, and in a condition rarely found. Pictures would be great to see!?
Don't want to burst your bubble but the information is CORRECT. Both of my straps have the logo on them. Nowhere did I say all the straps had a logo. D*** can't you read?
Bear 45/70

chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

Lets see... the question was regarding a sling from 1965; it does NOT have a Marlin logo, and an original on the deluxe rifles from Marlin at that time never did. I can read, and I also have 3 or more Marlin slings that do have the logo, but were purchased after 1980, or on rifles manufactured after that time. The post did not request you to answer how many of YOUR slings have the Marlin logo :roll: A saying that obviously does not pertain to you: "the wise man knows how much he has yet to learn"
have a nice day, chrifle
mkh0511

Post by mkh0511 »

Thanks for your help with my question. I am now searching e-bay and other sources for "vintage" Marlin slings/straps to see if I find anyone listing one for sale that looks like the one pictured in the 1965 Marlin catalog and represented as an original.
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

chrifle wrote:Lets see... the question was regarding a sling from 1965; it does NOT have a Marlin logo, and an original on the deluxe rifles from Marlin at that time never did. I can read, and I also have 3 or more Marlin slings that do have the logo, but were purchased after 1980, or on rifles manufactured after that time. The post did not request you to answer how many of YOUR slings have the Marlin logo :roll: A saying that obviously does not pertain to you: "the wise man knows how much he has yet to learn"
have a nice day, chrifle
Bear 45/70