model 47 .22

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
drew03

model 47 .22

Post by drew03 »

Recently passed down from me by my grandpa a marlin model 47 .22 caliber rifle. This gun was purchased by my grandpa around the start of the depression. He cant remeber how much he paid for it, but i have read on this site that it was offered only in a stock option but i do not know what that means. He says he never purchased any stock in his life. Any help and any information greatly appreciated.
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Re: model 47 .22

Post by Parley Baer »

Check this thread out and maybe post the information on your rifle and see if you get an answer.

http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/ ... =4&t=12121
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Drew03;

It is true, that the Marlin Model 47, .22 caliber, pump action rifle was offered as a stock option, and supposetly was never a cataloged item. It may be possible that your grandfather purchased the gun from someone that did purchase the required stock to receive the gun. According to Bophy, the Model 47 was available from 1930 to 1931, but it would take someone with more interest in the stock options guns than me to verify that.
The stock option was a special offer from Marlin to sportsmen whereby they would purchase four (4) shares of common stock for $25.00 each ($100.00 total investment) and in so doing, the purchaser was offered a free gun from Marlin. There were several different guns offered, and the Model 47 was one of them.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

Drew03: Your grandad must be in his ninety's that is cool because he has lived through some interesting
as well as good and bad times.The Model 47 was listed as a stock option item.Can you imagine trying to
sell stock shares in 1930-1931? There doesn't seem to be very much information on how many takers there
were but one could only think not very many.But anyway tell grandad that the Marlin Model 47 was cataloged
in 1929. It was listed as New Marlin Model 47 22-Caliber Takedown Repeating Rifle It listed for $15.98
the Model 37 listed for $20.39.
drew03

Post by drew03 »

thanks for the replies grandpa says that $15.00 sounds about right and that it was a lot or money
back then he thinks he was about 12 years old when his dad ordered for him for christmas the
old gun still looks fairly good but u can tell it was used a lot to i think i have got the idea on
the part about the stock option part figured ot as well thanks again happy thanksgiving
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

It has been thought that Marlin never cataloged the Model 37 that it was a stock option gun only. This still may
be the case. I don't have any catalogs from the 1929,1930,1931,1932 or 1933 era.I don't even know what years
in this time frame marlin offered catalogs. These were some very tough times in this country and money was very
hard to come by.Frank Kenna Jr. said in a speach once that in 1932 his father was working at the factory with 6
employes. I hoped someone could offer some information about the Marlin catalogs for this time period.But back
at hand the add listing that I am in reference to is from good old Sears,Roebuck and Co. from there 1929 catalog.
They list the Model 39,47 and the 37
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

Hi Drew,
Can you help me with some information for a database I am building on this rare model? It would be very MUCH appreciated if you could provide answers to the 5 question areas below. You can send via private message or email.
Many thanks and best regards,
Tom (chrifle)

SERIAL# _ _ _ _
all known are 4 digits (you may place "x" in last digit for privacy if you wish)

TANG MARKING MOD.47 or Marlin No_47
2 different tang markings are known, may be possible to distinguish year with this

REAR SIGHT Fixed height or Adjustable (Rocky Mountain)
Rocky mountain adjustable site was noted as "standard" by Brophy

FRONT SIGHT Brass bead or Ivory bead or Other
no information exists; use "other" when bead is missing

BARREL/MAG TUBE distance (in. or cm.) from end of mag tube to end of barrel
standard barrel is 23" round; distance distinguishes whether barrel has been cut down or different mag tubes usedchrifle
Marksman

Private message
Louiethelump
Beginner

Post by Louiethelump »

Are you still there ref the Marlin model 47’s?