Model 336 Just Inherited

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
hossisfree

Model 336 Just Inherited

Post by hossisfree »

I have recently inherited my Grandfather's Marlin model 336 .30-30

Serial number Y3135B

I took it to the range today and it is awesome! Open sights at 50 yards it shoots a little high, but windage is dead on. One position down, it shoots a little low. Given that you can't rightly see the target low, I put it back to the original position. I'll just sight under to get it right. I plan on taking it Coyote hunting with some friends this weekend. A ranch owner around here has a problem with them, and asked us to help.

It functions flawlessly! I'm wondering what year it may have been made, and the value of it. If anyone here can offer any information about it given the serial number, I would very much appreciate it! My Grandfather was one of the people that made his generation "The Greatest Generation"! I have just inherited a couple of his guns. I would love to learn the history of his gun collecting passion! Again, any assistance/information would be greatly appreciated!

Hoss
hossisfree

Re: Model 336 Just Inherited

Post by hossisfree »

I originally posted this on texaschlforum.com

It was a fellow member there that suggested this site.

Hoss
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Hoss;

A Marlin Model 336 with a "Y" serial number prefix was manufactured in 1964.
Since you do not state if it is a rifle or carbine, then it is a little hard to give an accurate estimation of value. Overall condition will also make a big difference in the value. But, since you inherited it from your grandfather, does it really matter what it is worth? You will not want to sell it, and if you did, you should find another family member that would want to have "grandpa's" gun.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
1LXZYO

Post by 1LXZYO »

It is a rifle, in very good condition. No scaring of the wood, and absolutely no rust. Good, clean, and smooth all around. You're right, I don't want to sell it. I'm simply interested in the value my Grandfather saw in it. He was a collector. My Father still has many of his rifles, but finally passed on to me the two that I have always cherished. There are many more to come. Much more research to be done. I'm simply interested in the value because that is what he saw; why he added it to the collection. Thanks for the response.

Hoss

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:13 am.