Model 336 CR - Rare???

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Tor Eckert
Beginner

Model 336 CR - Rare???

Post by Tor Eckert »

Hi

I have a Marlin Model 336 CR stright grip version with a ---------15 1/2 inch barrel --------and a gold plated trigger, Serial # 24642 (from under the lever). I have spent the entire afternoon searching the internet for this rifle - specifically with the 15 1/2 inch barrel. No can find. Help !!!! (This rifle was in the family and is part of a small "hand-me-down *beep*)

I will be selling it along with a Colorado Saddlery scabbard but have no idea of its value

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Tor
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Re: Model 336 CR - Rare???

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Never heard of a CR model. Now an RC, yes.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Tor Eckert;

When you measured the barrel, did you measure to the front of the receiver, or did you measure to the breech bolt face? Marlin did not make a 15 1/2 inch barrel, so this is quite important. Also, is there a letter prefix to the serial number that you did not include with the numbers? The serial number listed is to short for a non-letter-prefix serial number and there should be a letter preceeding the numbers.
Looking forward to your reply.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
toreckert

Post by toreckert »

Thanks for the responses on the Model 336 RC

The initials are RC not cr - sorry - my fingers got crossed.

The serial number is preceeded by a W (W24642) Had to use a magnifying glass to see the stamp

The measurements are (sorry, I looked up nomenclature on a lever action rifle and couldn't find "breech-bolt so have included other measurements- although I could assume the back of the "bolt" is also the back end of the ejection port

15 1/2 inches to front of receiver (back end of forearm - where it joins the receiver and the barrel ends an turns into matt finish retangular metal

16 5/8 to front of loading port

16 1/4 to front of ejection port

19 1/8 to back of ejection port

20 7/8 to front of hammer

The is also a very small stamp at the beginning of the barrel - at front of receiver?, on the opposite side of the Marlin Arms information that is about a quarter inch long very small oval that looks like a stamp in the center of the oval - maybe JM

Again, THANKS

Tor
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

The breech bolt is located on the right side of the receiver near the top.It is the part that slides in and out
when working the lever. It locks to the base of the cartridge and locks the cartridge in the chamber.On the
336 it is round .You can take a cleaning rod and with the lever in the closed position insert the rod in into
the barrel (till it hits bottom) or hits the face of the bolt, mark the rod at the end of the barrel. If by chance
you barrel is under 16 inches you have a problem as it would be illegal to own with out the proper permit.
The 336 wouldn't have come from the factory that way but somewhere along the line someone may have
shortened it.
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

The reason there is no mention of a 15 1/2" barrel is that it is ILLEGAL. 16" is minimum or it is a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) and requires a ATF Tax stamp and special papers.

My RC is a 1960 version with 20" barrel in 35 Remington.

Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the help on the Model 336.

I measured, as recommended with a cleaning rod. Length to the bolt is 16 1/4 inches

My father always called it his "varment gun", kept in on a gun rack on the back window of the old International Scouts when he wandered the ranch. I've had the gun now more than 20 years.

The rifle has a stright stock with a "pistol grip". Is this rifle unusual (length and stright stock) or a just run of the mill carbine ????

Thanks, Tor Eckert
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Tor Eckert;

By straight grip, "Pistol Grip", do you mean it looks like the gun pictured, or does it actually have a straight grip stock?
The "W" serial number prefix indicates it was manufactured in 1963, and that is good if the stock is actually a straight grip stock with a 16 1/4 inch barrel. This would mean you have a Marlin Model 336 Marauder carbine that was only made a couple of years, and are quite scarce and desirable to collectors. When offered for sale, they will bring a premium over a regular Marlin Model 336 RC or regular carbine with a 20 inch barrel.
Good luck.....
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.

Post by Guest »

Gunrunner:
Thanks for your help. It is a straight stock, not the pic. I will be offering the Marlin Model 336 Marauder carbine on the Gun Broker auction. I'll be selling it with the Colorado Saddlery scabbard. Again, thanks.

Tor Eckert
toreckert

Post by toreckert »

I've received a lot of info about the Marauder Thanks to all those who have helped.

But, if I sell, I need to have some idea as what I should put it on the market for.

It is a MODEL 336 MARAUDER W/SCABBARD
The MARAUDER, has a 16 1/4 INCH BARREL MICROGROOVE 30-30, SERIAL is "W24642" - A 1963 MODEL WITH STRIGHT GRIP AND ROUNDED LEVER, WEIGHT 2.86KG

I've seen prices from $895 @ GunsAmerica to a $2569 at a website http://www.pmulcahy.com/lever-action. Other on line “solds” and for sale range start at $595 and go up from there . The gun is in excellent shape - wood: no dings or scratches noticeable, blueing very good except a little wear on barrel strap.

If I sell it I will include it with a COLORADO SADDLERY SCABBARD, "1790" The company in Denver tells me they stopped making scabbards in 1960. Length 35 ¼ long – perfect fit for the Marlin 336. IN VERY GOOD SHAPE --- ESTIMATED VALUE $200-400

I’m having difficulty establishing a value. What should I ask for the combination: low $800 up to 1900.00? ???????

This rifle belonged to my father (gone for more than 20 years) and has been sitting in my small collection since. My guess is that is has been shot less than a dozen times in its life.

Thank you, Tor Eckert, Northern California