1895 .33 WCF lightweight

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Gundevil
Beginner

1895 .33 WCF lightweight

Post by Gundevil »

Picked up a gun today that I'm not real familiar with, it's a Marlin 1895 in .33 WCF and from the limited info in the blue book it looks like the lightweight version based on the hard rubber buttplate and the half magazine. The bore is excellent and finish is very good for the age. I attached some pics below, any input on an estimated value? Source for ammo?

Thanks for any info

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1895 .33 WCF lightweight

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gundevil;

You have a true lightweight Model 1895 Marlin. You can tell from the pictures that it has the rebated lever (extra milling on the sides of the lever to reduce weight) and the overall appearence of the rest of the gun. Only the true lightweights had the rebated lever. The true lightweights will also have extra milling inside the breech bolt to help lighten the overall weight of the gun.
The .33 Winchester calber did not appear in the Model 1895 until 1912, so there are no factory records available to help any further with information. The old factory records end in December of 1906 so there nothing to report about any of the .33 Winchester caliber guns.
As to value, you know what you paid, so it must be worth at least that........I do not put much faith in any of the price guides. The Model 1895 is one of the more desirable models of the Marlin line, and the lightweights are a little more scarce.
The Model 1895 was not that popular a model when it was produced. There are places in the records where Model 1895's will have sat in the warehouse for two to three years over guns of other models in the same same serial number range. We know that from 1895 to 1906, over 5,000 Model 1895's were produced, but it is doubtful that there were a great deal of 1895's made after that. Most of there later Model 1895's seem to be either .45-70 or .33 Winchester caliber guns.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
mocho charlie

1895 .33 WCF lightweight

Post by mocho charlie »

RCBS makes dies for 33 WCF, brass is available from several manufacturers; bullets are the problem. Hornady used to make a flat nose 200 grain 338. There are a few custom bullet makers who sell these bullets. Unfortunately the new "gummy tip" designed for the 338 Marlin express are too long for the cartridge to cycle through. Goo luck
HOLLERW
Beginner

Post by HOLLERW »

I HAVE AN 1895 IN 33CF WITH AN ANTIQUE SERIAL NUMBER?? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

HollerW;

If you have a Marlin Model 1895 with an antique serial number, then your barrel has been replaced with the .33 WCF caliber barrel. An antique serial number would be for a gun made prior to 1898. Problem is, the .33 WCF did not come out in the Marlin Model 1895 until 1912. It would be in your best interest to check the old factory records to see if your gun was returned to the factory. The records will not say if the barrel was changed, but only list a second ship date.
Now, it may be possilbe that your 1895 sat in the warehouse unsold until 1912, and Marlin changed the barrel out to sell it in the newer caliber. The Model 1895 was not a big seller, and there are many instances in the records where Model 1895's are shipped 2 to 3 years later than other models in the same serial number range. You really need to check the records........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

HollerW: I got into this several years ago with a Winchester 1894 with a antique serial number and in the
32 Winchester Special. The 32 Special didn't come out till around 1902. I found out latter that it is not
uncommon to find this combination.Several of these show up from time to time and it is told to me that
Winchester just like Marlin had a lot of parts lying around in the parts bin I think Gunrunner will agree that
it is possible that during the Marlin-Rockwell era they may have came across the antique serial numbered
receiver and assembled it with the 33 High Power Smokeless barrel.It may not have been rebarreled.If you
will give Gunrunner your serial number he might can tell you if it had been sent back to the factory,if so there
is a good chance it was rebarreled.Most of the Winchesters will letter to be in the 32 Winchester Special.
In any case your rifle is still considered to be an antique.P.S. Gunrunner is correct Marlin didn't introduce the
Model 1895nin the 33 H.P.S.till 1912 but it was introduced by Winchester for there Model 1886 in 1902.
jorgy
Marksman 1st Class

Post by jorgy »

I have a Marlin 1895 33WCF with the serial number of 313693. This is a takedown model. I know the receiver was made around 1903. That receiver must have been in Marlin's inventory until they introduced the 33WCF. This is a good example of why the old 1895 Marlins & the black powder
cartridges they were chambered for were slow sellers.