Model 1893 carbine

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Trey

Model 1893 carbine

Post by Trey »

I have just purchased a Model 1893 with serial number 398XXX. My rifle has a short magazine tube which protrudes approximately 3"-4" from the end of the forearm. The round barrel is marked "Special Black Powder" or someting very similar to that. It is stamped "Marlin Safety" on the top of the receiver and it has two (2) very small tapped holes plugged with screws on the top of the receiver. The butt plate is metal and crescent shaped. The wood is plain walnut and in excellent shape. The caliber is 32-40. It is patina in color with very little blueing remaining. Any ideas on exaclty what I have purchased? Is it a "carbine"? It does not have a saddle ring. I would love to know the approximately date of manufacture as well as the approximate value. Thanks!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 1893 carbine

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Trey;

That serial number would tend to indicate that your gun was made sometime around 1909 or 1910. The records end at 355,500 in December of 1906, so we can only estimate after that.
A couple of questions regarding your "Grade B" Model 1893. That is what the Model 1893 that has the barrel marked "For Black Powder" is actually called. The "Grade B" Marlin Model 1893's were made in .32-40 and .38-55 calibers only. You need to tell us if your gun has a band around the barrel and forearm, or does is have a regular forearm style cap? How long is the barrel? Does the butt plate have a tang that goes up over the top of the butt stock, or is a simple style crescent style butt plate?
The two small holes on top of the receiver are factory drilled and tapped. All Marlins made after August of 1903 (and up to about 1921) were drilled and tapped for the Marlin-Hepburn receiver sight.
This is where we have to start.......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Thanks for the reply, Gunruuner.

From the end of the receiver, the barrel measures 25 1/2" and the magazine measures 16 1/4".

The butt plate does not wrap around the stock ends. It is a simple metal crescent shaped plate that is flush with the stock. I took it off last night and I saw no markings on the underside of the plate or on the wood.

The barrel is clearly marked 32-40 caliber although I have not tried to run any amunition through the gun yet.

There is a metal band around the end of the forearm that holds the forearm to the barrel, no end cap.

You are correct as regards the "for Black Powder" marking on the barrel.

The gun has a simple "elevator style" rear sight with a dovetailed front sight that is marked "Marble No. 3".

It is not a takedown model and I do not see a provision for a saddle ring although I must admit that I really don't know what I am looking for in that regard.

Thanks again!

Trey
Trey

Post by Trey »

Gunrunner:

I am afraid my last post contained some inaccurate information. First, there IS a cap on the end of the forearm, not a band. Second, the magaine tube measures approximately 12 1/2 " or roughly 1/2 of the length of the barrel. Also, on the tang it is marked "Model 1893" with arrows on either end. Hope this helps and I apologize for the inaccurate information.

Thanks for all of your help!

Trey
Trey

Post by Trey »

Is there anyone out there that can help me with this gun? It is my first Marlin purchase and I am trying to get educated as to exactly what it is and its estimated value. Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Trey
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Sounds like you have what is called a 1/2 magazine Marlin Model 1893 Black Powder model in .32-40 caliber and a 26" round barrel. Also it sounds like the buttplate is of the later style for a Model 1893. As to pricing you need to go on a gun auction site such as Gunbroker.com and look at rifles similar to yours in condition and configuration and see what they are selling for. You can post some pictures and maybe someone on here will give you an estimate of its value.
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.