Leverevolution for .35 Rem

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
gspangen
Beginner

Leverevolution for .35 Rem

Post by gspangen »

I see on eBay they sell an aluminum follower for the magazine tube in order to shoot the Hornady levereolution ammo. I have a 1973 336C and I'm wondering if I need to make any changes to the rifle? Are there any concerns or issues with using these bullets?

Thanks
David Grubb
Beginner

Re: Leverevolution for .35 Rem

Post by David Grubb »

I installed the new style followers in my 30-30 & 35 336s as a matter of safety. I did a hog hunt and had a fully loaded magazine from a new full box of ammo. I never got to fire a shot and levered out the rounds at the end of the hunt in now dark conditions. I did not count the rounds I levered out but the box of ammo was not full again. In the dark you can't see the follower. I reloaded the magazine with 3 rounds and levered them out again and got all the rounds this time. The pointed rounds will get off center against the follower and then off center against the rounds below and jam in the tube during unloading. Probably during firing the rounds are jarred loose and the off centering is not noticed. I think this is a real safety issue and is well worth installing the new style followers with the concave face.
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

In my opinion the advantages of the Leverevolution ammo do not out weight the disadvantages. I've never had a problem putting animals down the the old round or flat nosed bullets. This new stuff is just a gimmick to get your money.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
gspangen
Beginner

Post by gspangen »

I think I may just use the Leverevoultion in my Rem 760 pump .35 Rem, and keep the round nose loads for the Marlin. I definitely have concerns using the pointed bullets in my 336C and I don't want to make any modifications to it. I've had plenty of success with the round nose 200gr loads, so I think I'll stick them. Yep, anything to make more money.
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

You can load a round nose first, and then fill the mag tube with leverevolution rounds, if you want to use them and not make any modifications. They will likely "print" differently on target, so keep that in mind as far as number of shots you have :D
straight shooting!
gspangen
Beginner

Post by gspangen »

So the problem with the follower is that it is not concave to keep the point centered against it in the magazine? I initially thought it was related to the follower being plastic. I'm pretty sure my 1973 336C has a metal follower. Regardless, whether it's plastic or metal, if it's not concave I could have a problem?
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

chrifle is correct the only cartridge affected is the last one out of the magazine.Changing the follower is no big deal.
If you dont know what muzzle velocity means and you dont understand what Trajectory has to do with anything then
dont waste your time and money on Leverevolution ammunition.The magazine tube fed lever-action rifle had been
long left behind in years past because of the round nose or flat pointed bullets but Hornady brought them back into
the game with the new plastic pointed tip.
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

marlin 1893 wrote:chrifle is correct the only cartridge affected is the last one out of the magazine.Changing the follower is no big deal.
If you dont know what muzzle velocity means and you dont understand what Trajectory has to do with anything then
dont waste your time and money on Leverevolution ammunition.The magazine tube fed lever-action rifle had been
long left behind in years past because of the round nose or flat pointed bullets but Hornady brought them back into
the game with the new plastic pointed tip.
Interesting statement by an obvious bullet snob. I use 405 grain flat nose lead bullets in my 1895SS to hunt with and every deer I have hit has died and the runner made it 50 feet in an arc and was 30 feet from where I hit him. So explain again how the old style bullets don't work. :roll:
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."