22 lever action octagonal barrel

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Willie

22 lever action octagonal barrel

Post by Willie »

I have a 22 lever action with an octagonal barrel . It has numerous pat. dates enscribed on the barrel from Jan. 18, 1887 to March 1, 1892 and a pat. of june 8, 1897 in the breech area. The serial # is 215501. Carved on the butt plate is LRC 1901, presumably the owner back then. Is there any way I could find out more about this rifle? It is in great shape although I may have to replace the ejecter spring.
Any information or a link to a website that could help me would be greatly appreciated.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 22 lever action octagonal barrel

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Willie;

The 1897 patent date tells us that you have a Marlin Model 1897 or '97. The model number should be marked on the upper tang, behind the hammer. Standard Model 1897/'97's are .22 caliber and had a 24 inch barrel and a hard rubber shotgun style butt plate. The Model 1897/'97 was made from 1897 to about 1921 when it was replaced by the then new Model 39. The record for your serial number is blank, so we can only estimate that your gun was shipped around 1901. The owner (LRC) apparently purchased the gun new, and then carved his initials into the stock.
Be aware, that this is a black powder gun, and you should not be using modern, high speed ammunition in it. This gun was not made to stand the pressures of modern ammunition, and using it could cause the breech bolt to crack. If you wish to shoot your rifle, then you can use target or standard velocity, .22 caliber ammunition.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
willie

Re: 22 lever action octagonal barrel

Post by willie »

Thank you for your reply. I have been shooting with low velocity shells as you advise. I had hoped the serial # would give me some history but I guess I will never know.
Thank you again for your information and advise.