marlin 1881

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
jdhman

marlin 1881

Post by jdhman »

I have a Marlin 1881 serial # 4150. It is single trigger, is a 45- 70, marked 45 Govt. It has a 28 inch barrel, dovetailed front site. It also has a curve brass plate butt plate, with one screw on end and one on top. I wanted to know if this brass plate was an option, perhaps a custom ordered addition, or if it was altered later after leaving the factory. I appreciate any info regarding this you can offer. Thanks, Kirk
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: marlin 1881

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Kirk;

The only brass butt plate used on the Model 1881 would have been a Ballard, swiss or schutezen style butt plate. Those butt plates were usually nickel plated. These butt plates are curved, but have the "prongs" to assist in offhand shooting. Now, your prongs may have been cut off and then the butt plate smoothed out. Model 1881's with the swiss butt plate are rare, and that butt plate, if original to the gun will have the same serial number as the gun stamped on the inside.
If you do not find a serial number, then you had better figure it is not the original butt plate. Most large frame Model 1881's had a shotgun style, steel butt plate. The record for your serial number is blank, so there is no information listed for your serial number.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
jdhman

Post by jdhman »

Thanks for the info. Aftern looking up the styles you suggested, we can determine that it is a Ballard butt plate. There is no serial number listed inside it, BUT, there are 2 stamps, one says R. Kern and the second one says Ligonier, PA. the stock is drilled for this particular plate and no other drill marks are present at all. THe stock has the type of wear you would expect, so, is it possible it left the factory this way? And who is R. Kern? Just asking,. Appreciate your help! Also, there is no bluing left on the gun, good patina, no rust or pitting, small chip in fore-end. Looks to be all corrrect, great bore. Could you give me a ballpark idea of possible value? I can send pictures if this will help. Thanks again
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Jdhman;

R. Kern is Reinhard Kern was listed in the directory of Lancaster, Pa. He was a gunsmith listed in Frank Seller's book listing of gunsmiths in America. So, he had something to do with your Model 1881 at some time. You may try to GOOGLE his name to see what you can find.
It is very possible that the butt plate is original to your Model 1881, expecially since you see no other holes that would indicate that another butt plate had been mounted from the factory.
You can send pictures if you like, and then I can see the butt plate as well.

whells france

Post by whells france »

bonjours , je suis français et j'ai une marlin model 1881 en 45/70 , canon de 28 avec double détente (stecher) et un petit dioptre . crosse normale , la carabine a le n° serie 8553. canon octogonal. j'aimerais savoir quel model elle est , ainssi que de sa valeur. merçi d'avance.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Whells France;

I do not speak French, but from what I can determine from your post, you are seeking information about your Marlin Model 1881, serial number 8553. The old Marlin records show that is was shipped in late 1885 with a 28 inch octagon barrel (canon) in .45-70 caliber and had double set triggers (stecher?)
I hope this helps.

whells france

Post by whells france »

tank you, my anglais it is no good. my rifle est toute polis , et son canon a de bonne rayures mais un peux terne. quel prix peut elle valoir s' il vous plais. je compte tirer avec avec des munition 45/70 black power de ma fabrication , quel est le poids de balle plomb le mieux approprier 457 of 380 grains , 405 grains , 500 grains what ? merci encore de votre aide . je vous tiendrais informé de ces resultats.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Jdhman;

R. Kern is Reinhard Kern was listed in the directory of Lancaster, Pa. He was a gunsmith listed in Frank Seller's book listing of gunsmiths in America. So, he had something to do with your Model 1881 at some time. You may try to GOOGLE his name to see what you can find.
It is very possible that the butt plate is original to your Model 1881, expecially since you see no other holes that would indicate that another butt plate had been mounted from the factory.
You can send pictures if you like, and then I can see the butt plate as well.
It's also possible that Kern restocked the 1881 and added the Ballard buttplate, and the work would have been done long ago, so it would look old enough to appear "factory". If the stock is removed and there is no serial number on the stock, then that would be my guess.
I own an 1881 that was rebuilt by Emil Flues of Bay City, Mi. and has a Ballard swiss buttplate, with deluxe pistol grip stocks, finely checkered. Looks like original Marlin style, but the inside of the buttplate and stock have Flues' rollstamp on them.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
whells france

Post by whells france »

bonjours a tous. voilà ce soir j'ai regardé de prés ma marlin 1881 , je me suis apperçus que les pièces comme la plaque de couche portaient le N° de série de l'arme . sauf que la culasse coulissante porte le N° de série 8459 , donc pratiquement 100 carabines avant . a votre avis un ouvrier c'est il trompé ? . en regardant les double détentes il y a un petit trous entre les deux il est désaxé il a l'air de manqué la vis de réglage ?. et sur la pièce crantée de la hausse il y a marqué (PAT FEB .5.1901 ).
jdhman

Post by jdhman »

..... Just offering a rough (emphasis on ROUGH) translation of our french friend's inquiries, beginning with the first. Items in square parentheses [ ] may not make sense, but I don't have any ideas either.

hello, I'm French and I have a marlin model 1881 in 45/70, 28 gun with double trigger (set trigger) and a small interface. normal grip, the rifle was No. 8553 Series. octagonal barrel. I know what model it is, [telephone marketing ?] and would like to know its value. thanks in advance.

Thank you, my English is not good. my rifle is quite polished, and his gun has good scratch but can dull. Can you tell me what price it can bring? I plan to shoot ammunition with my 45/70 black powder production, If the weight of bullet lead is 457, which is the most appropriate grain: 380 grain, 405 grain, 500 grain what? thank you again for your help. I'll keep you informed of these results.

Good morning everyone. Here tonight I looked closely at my Marlin 1881, I observed that parts like the butt plate bearing the serial number of the weapon. except that the sliding door bolt has the serial number 8459, so almost 100 rifles before. Any ideas why? . looking at the double trigger is a small hole between the two is unbalanced it seems to lack the adjustment screw? and the notched part of the increase there are marked (PAT FEB .5.1901).
jdhman1941

Post by jdhman1941 »

Regarding the 1881 Marlin, serial number 4150: After we took off the Ballard brass butt plate and found the R Kearn info, we also took off the rear stock, and found no other markings on the stock, not even a serial number. However, we neglected to state that on the top of the gun, following the Marlin Fire-Arms info, was a rollstamp reading Browning Bros, Ogden, U. T. Is it possible that this will add to its value? How much difference might it make? Do you know of any other 1881 Marlins that have this? Thank you for your help
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

browning bros stamped all the rifles they sold no value difrerence, but interesting.
GBOT, GBUSA
Wishbone
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Wishbone »

I beg to differ, Sure Shot. I think Browning Bros. marked rifles will bring a small premium.
I've seen several of them sell (not only Marlins), and they do seem to bring more. I guess it's due to the fact that the marked rifle passed thru the famous Browning store in Utah.

WB
MARLIN - THE GUN FOR THE MAN WHO KNOWS
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The Browning Bros. mark will most certainly add to the value of any gun marked. How much I couldn't say for sure, but I'd take a WAG and say at least 10%, and possibly more.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

I have noticed that Marlin and Ballard rifles with the Browning Bros. stamp bring a little more. I can't help but think maybe it has to do with knowing a bit of history behind the gun. Especially for the Marlins as we all know how little info is in the records. I think it has to do with the fascination of the west and knowing it didn't spend its life in a closet back east.

John