Marlin 39A Serial Number

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
boot1978
Beginner

Marlin 39A Serial Number

Post by boot1978 »

I acquired a nice Model 39A from its original owner who passed away last year at age 92. While it didn't see much use in its latter days, you could tell he hunted it often when younger. As old as it is, as you would expect it is as accurate, smooth and tight as ever - a beautiful piece of work. My problem is with the serial number - there is no prefix. The number "259" is stamped below the lever and on two locations internal... but they all are just "259". The stock has an uncapped pistol grip, and the barrel, marked 39A, does not specify "mico-groove". As I look at the bore, it appears Ballard, but I am no expert. The receiver would be better described as black rather than blue.... it is not case. Process of elimination identifies it as a 3rd model - 1st generation, however there is a white spacer between the molded buttplate and the wood. I am wondering if this could possibly be a "transitional" piece made right after the war, using a 39 receiver with the then new Ballard barrel. I'm sure the original owner did not modify the rifle - and he certainly wouldn't have added an older barrel anyway.... I am perplexed, and have researched everywhere to no avail. Does anyone have any experience or ideas in this regard. I really would like to be able to identify my rifle. I have attempted to attach a few pics. Thanks for any help!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 39A Serial Number

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Boot1978;

The Micro-Groove barrels did not show up until 1954 in the Model 39-A's. The white line spacer started in 1951. Your gun certainly must have a Ballard style rifled barrel if it does not have 16 lands and grooves that is found in the Micro-Groove barrel. The Ballard barrels have 6 lands and grooves. The first 39-A's had a case colored receiver and yours is blued. All 39' made after 1945 had blued receivers. So your gun will have been made sometime between 1951 (intro of the white line spacer) and 1954. (Although a few 39-A's were made up to 1957 with Ballard rifling) The fact that your gun does not have a letter prefix is interesting, but just may have been a mistake that got out of the factory without notice. Things like that happened.........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
boot1978
Beginner

Post by boot1978 »

Thanks for your response........... but it leaves another question. With the introduction of the 2nd variation, the 39A had a cap on the pistol grip ...... this does not, so it seems to rule that out.
boot1978
Beginner

Post by boot1978 »

Here's a pic of the pistol grip.....
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

Boot1978:I wonder if you think it is possible that your rifle might have been returned to the
factory for a re-blueing.I have seen some that were sent back in the 50's and they also have the
deep dark blueing your's seems to have.As to the white spacer,they seem to show up on some of the
guns sent back to the factory that were made before it was introduced.If you could post pictures
of the lever,the pistol grip of the stock and the front sight.This might offer a few more clues.
boot1978
Beginner

Post by boot1978 »

Thank you for attempting to help me with this conundrum! I have no reason to believe that this was ever returned to the factory for repairs by the original owner - but there's no way for me to confirm that! Here are some more pictures as you requested. Please note that the hood on the front sight is simply a "slide-on". I think some early model 39s were produced without a prefix. As a retired banker, I know that a successful business tends to find ways to reduce waste.... if they have inventory that can possibly be used, they are very reluctant to just toss it out! I am confident that we can fix this as a 3rd model (no case receiver). 3rd variation has the uncapped pistol grip, but the barrel is miicro-groove - this is not. 2nd generation is out because there is no pistol grip cap. By default, that leaves 1st generation, but the problem remains.... the spacer!! (not to mention the S/N issue which impacts everything 39A).
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Boot1978;

I believe I can solve your problem by digging out my old Marlin catalogs from the period. There are some of the early catalogs that show the butt plate spacer and grip cap. But, shortly after that catalog, the grip cap is missing in later catalogs and there is something about a shortage of material. I will have to go through those catalogs in the future and let you know what I find. So, this is most likely your "2nd Generation" version, just made when Marlin was not installing the grip caps.
Lesson: Do not believe everything you read in books..........

boot1978
Beginner

Post by boot1978 »

You are indeed a gentleman Gunrunner! Thank you for the time and effort you are putting in on this mystery. As an owner of more Marlin Lever-Action rifles than I can justify to my wife, I may have stumbled upon a place of refuge. You have convinced me that this is an association well worth joining!!
1894 - .44 mag
39A - .22
336SS - 30-30
336W - 30-30
336 - .444
336CS - 30-30
I look forward to what you are able to uncover!!
Thanks again
Boot1978
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

In Brophys book on page 277 the third variation 39A is pictured fluted comb stock,and the new
hooded ramp front sight.On page 278 the third variation is listed as the receiver being tapped
for the receiver sight.On page 562 the Grip cap is mentioned as being introduced in 1950 along
with the white line spacer.It also states (As long as materials are available,Model39A's and all
High-Power Reapeters will be equipped with an attractive medallion on the pistol grip cap on
which the owner's initial's up to three letters-may be engraved.)On page 563 it states that the
grip-cap was only available in 1951 and 1952.In 1953 a grip cap was not mentioned in catalogs.
the white line spacer added to the butt plate was retained.
boot1978
Beginner

Post by boot1978 »

Thanks for your research marlin1893..... sounds like you are leaning toward 1953 - 3rd variation due to the presence of the stock spacer and the absence of a grip cap. Only problem is that this is not a "micro-groove" - its the old Ballard barrel used in 1st & 2nd variations. I have a feeling this is likely a "transition" between variations as the company scrambled to use up old materials still on hand, mixing with new modifications. If I didn't know the history of the gun (which I do), I would begin to think its a hodge-podge of pre-war and post-war parts put together in someone's garage - but its not. It was purchased new, after WW-II by a small town Pharmacist. One thing is certain.... its an unusual combination!
Thanks again!
boot1978
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Boot19778;

Okay, after checking the old Marlin catalogs, I find that the 1952 catalog shows the Models 39-A and 336 pictured with the grip cap. BUT, inside the catalog, dated March 4, 1952 is a flyer stating that although the catalog pictures the grip caps, Marlin will discontinue applying the grip cap due to war work and shortage of materials. The January 1, 1953 catalog then shows the Model 39-A and 336 without grip caps.
Since your Model 39-A does not have the new after 1954 Micro-Groove rifling, you most likely could say your gun is a later 1952 or 1953 gun. But, remember, there were some Ballard style rifled guns made up to 1957. So, it could be even as late as 1957.
If you are interested, you might check our "LINKS" section for Cornell Publishing. They reprint many Marlin catalogs, and you may want to get a couple showing one with the grip cap and one without. I doubt that the flyer is reprinted in them though.
I hope this helps.

boot1978
Beginner

Post by boot1978 »

That really helps gunrunner. I greatly appreciate your effort and tenacity!! I've sent in my application for membership, so I look forward to "seeing" yoiu again on the forums in the future!!
boot1978
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

I thought I would just mention one more thing on the grip cap topic.As Gunnrunner mentions
that you can't always belive all information in the old catalogs.On page 248 of Brophys book
he states The 36ADL was illustrated and described from 1940-1947 as having a pistol grip
cap.He goes on to say that he had never seen one and that none have been noted as having
the grip cap originally from the factory.
boot1978
Beginner

Post by boot1978 »

Many thanks to gunrunner and marlin1893 for all their work...... greatly appreciated!!
boot1978
polish handgunner
Beginner

Post by polish handgunner »

I bought a Model 39A rifle today with a J prefix serial number.
It is in very good condition and gives me a mate to my 39A 'MOUNTIE' I bought in the early 60s while living in Chicago.