Model 94 25-20

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
cscholten

Model 94 25-20

Post by cscholten »

I have a friend that is looking to sell a Marlin 94 in 25-20.

1. What year was it made.
2. Any idea for a value. I do not want ot take advantage of him or vice versa. Just a fair price.

It is Carbine
round barrel
full length magazine
crescent buttplate
two screw on the top of the receiver
Marlin MODEL '94 on tang, no star
no bullseye
SN D3XXX
On barrel is: ___Marlin Firearms Co., NEW-HAVEN, CT. U.S.A.___
Pat'd Oct. 11, 1887. April 2, 1889. Aug. 1, 1893.___
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 94 25-20

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Cscholten;;

One question, where is that serial number located? Is it up near the forearm, or back, under the lever? My guess, it will be up near the forearm......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
cscholten

Post by cscholten »

Forearm is correct.
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

These Marlin Model 94's are really hard to judge as to when they were made. Your rifle has no apparent markings that would indentify it as a later rifle such as the serial number under the lever. However there are rifles with a D prefix that do have later markings and with serial numbers close to yours. It could have been made post 1916 to maybe 1920 if it was an earlier rifle. If a later rifle maybe 1926 to 1935. I would like to add your rife to our data base but I need the full serial number. You can send me a private message if you like. We have the data base so that hopefully we will be able to tell more accurately when these rifles were made.
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

Your Model 94 with the prefix to the serial serial number being located near the fore arm
is thought to be made during the Marlin-Rockwell era 1916 to around 1920 or 1921.They
are thought to be made from parts left on hand from the orginal Marlin Firearms co.
assembled by Marlin-Rockwell. I think it is possible that some of these rifles were already
assembled and on hand when the Marlin Family sold out.I also feel some of these parts would
still have been around when the new Corporation started up around late 1921 or early 1922.
Your rifle with the lower serial number and no Bullseye or starr would suggest pre 1923.The
higher numbers with the D prefix in the higher 8xxx range would seem to have been assembled
post 1923 when the Bullseye seemed to be introduced.One thing though you mention is the cresent
type butt plate.Most carbines will have the carbine type or the s type butt plate.With no records
these are just thoughts.Your rifle has three interesting dates.When was it made.When was it
assembled.and when was it shipped.As to what its worth,thats hard to say but post WW1 94's
are not that easy to find.

Post by Guest »

cscholten wrote:I have a friend that is looking to sell a Marlin 94 in 25-20.

1. What year was it made.
2. Any idea for a value. I do not want ot take advantage of him or vice versa. Just a fair price.

It is Carbine
round barrel
full length magazine
crescent buttplate
two screw on the top of the receiver
Marlin MODEL '94 on tang, no star
no bullseye
SN D3XXX
On barrel is: ___Marlin Firearms Co., NEW-HAVEN, CT. U.S.A.___
Pat'd Oct. 11, 1887. April 2, 1889. Aug. 1, 1893.___

Post by Guest »

marlin 1893 wrote:Your Model 94 with the prefix to the serial serial number being located near the fore arm
is thought to be made during the Marlin-Rockwell era 1916 to around 1920 or 1921.They
are thought to be made from parts left on hand from the orginal Marlin Firearms co.
assembled by Marlin-Rockwell. I think it is possible that some of these rifles were already
assembled and on hand when the Marlin Family sold out.I also feel some of these parts would
still have been around when the new Corporation started up around late 1921 or early 1922.
Your rifle with the lower serial number and no Bullseye or starr would suggest pre 1923.The
higher numbers with the D prefix in the higher 8xxx range would seem to have been assembled
post 1923 when the Bullseye seemed to be introduced.One thing though you mention is the cresent
type butt plate.Most carbines will have the carbine type or the s type butt plate.With no records
these are just thoughts.Your rifle has three interesting dates.When was it made.When was it
assembled.and when was it shipped.As to what its worth,thats hard to say but post WW1 94's
are not that easy to find.