22 long rifle age?

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --

22 long rifle age?

Post by Guest »

My great uncle and grandfather had a 22 long rifle. They never said where they got it from but it is older. I have looked over the gun and there is no information other than "The Marlin Firearms Corporation New Haven, Conn USA" then it says "22 LONG RIFLE". There are no other markings or writings. Can anyone tell me more information on this gun.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 22 long rifle age?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

To our Guest;

You did not say if this was a lever action rifle or a pump action rifle. That will make a difference as to the model you have inquired about. The Corporation marking will mean the gun was made after 1921, and possibily up to 1939, depending upon the model it turns out to be. Somewhere there should be a model marking on the gun. If this is a lever action rifle with a tang mounted sight, you would need to remove the sight to see a model marking. If it is a pump rifle, there should be a model marking on the upper tang, unless it is a hammerless Model 38, and they are marked on the bottom of the receiver.
We await your reply........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.

Post by Guest »

I am not sure if it is a hammerless model 38, but it seems to be a semi-auto with a place to put in a clip. It does have a place where it seems like you can slide a sight into. It does have a screw on the back of the barrel where you can take out all the components but I dont know if that helps in identifying the gun. If you need more information please ask.

Post by Guest »

Also it is a a one piece stock. the trigger guard as a screw that goes through the stock and screws to a place in the barrel.

Post by Guest »

Are there any updates or ideas about what it might be?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

To our Guest;

There is a little problem. Marlin did not make any semi-automatic rifles until 1934. The use of the Corporation name was limited after 1924 to just a couple of rifle models, (the Model 39 lever action rifle and I believe the Model 38 hammerless, .22 pump action rifle) So to identify your gun, you should get some pictures and post them here so we can see what you have and identify that way. There are a couple of different semi-automatic rifles that fit the description you gave, so that does not help.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.

Post by guest »

I have the exact same rifle, i can't find it either.

Post by Guest »

Any updates, i need to find a clip for mine.
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

Sounds like a model 50 or A-1!? does the barrel marking contain *smokeless greased"? pictures will definitely allow determination...
roper

Post by roper »

I think I also have the same rifle and I also need a magazine and front sight. I have taken the stock off of it and there isn't a model number anywhere. There are two areas that have writing on them.

One says

"22 Long Rifle only - Smokeless greased"
and the other is
"The Marlin Firearms Corporation,
<<<New Haven Conn USA - Patented>>>"

I have pictures but I can't seem to get them pasted here.
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

Hey Roper, you definitely have a model A1 or A1E (1936-40) or later variant of that model (A1C or A1DL) made from 1941-46 (with no production due to WWII during 42-44). The later variants had a thicker forearm and fluted comb. Many front sights such as Lyman or Marbles will fit (standard 3/8" dovetail base I believe). Magazines are not easy to find, check gunpartscorp.com, ebay, local gunshows, etc. and be patient - one will turn up eventually. good luck!