H & R Huntsman .58 HELP!?!?!?!?!

Anything to do with H&R-NEF guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

rholstein
Beginner

H & R Huntsman .58 HELP!?!?!?!?!

Post by rholstein »

Recently purchased a great looking H & R Huntsman .58-I need information please.

I thought it would be easy to find out more about this gun, however even the H & R Firearms website doesn't help!

Being a newbie to black powder hunting, I need to know what kind of primer, shot, and load to use- as well as how to load it, where to purchase it, etc.

Any and all information and/or help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
rholstein

l.cutler
Beginner

Post by l.cutler »

I just found this forum and hope it is not too late. If this is one of the break open rifles made in the 1970's or 80's do not fire it! This is one of the most dangerous blackpowder firearms ever made. the possibility of the cap being struck when closing the action would turn the breach plug into a projectile shooting directly back at you. Again, if this is one of the older made rifles, do not use it!
KenguGo

Post by KenguGo »

I think you are right guys! :)
Hillbilly Jim 1
Beginner

Re: H & R Huntsman .58 HELP!?!?!?!?!

Post by Hillbilly Jim 1 »

I have seen this message before and its not correct. Check Graybeard Forum and search.
I have been shooting my 58 for 25 years. I also have 3 45's that i used to use a lot. All have been totally safe and accounted for some number of deer.
I would recommend making sure your 58 is clean and functions-let a good gunsmith examine it- and use a load from any black powder loading manual for a 58 cal.
Lots of doomsday prophets around who get one tidbit of information and run with it without doing any research.
Cheers
Shoot often and straight
lefty41
Beginner

Re: H & R Huntsman .58 HELP!?!?!?!?!

Post by lefty41 »

Go to www.graybeardoutdoors.com
click on GBO Forums, then scroll down to NEF/H&R Talk. Under that section is a forum named Hunstman and Sidekick Muzzle Loaders. Very good people there who will help you. Read the "stickys" and FAQ. LOTS of info with knowledge!
Good luck with your .58