H&R .32S&W Small Frame 5-shot Revolver-Year made?

Anything to do with H&R-NEF guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BarkeyVA
Marksman

H&R .32S&W Small Frame 5-shot Revolver-Year made?

Post by BarkeyVA »

I have a small frame H&R hammerless, 5-shot revolver, Serial Number 2546xx. Stamped on top of the barrel is:

Harrington & Richardson Arms Company
Worchester, Mass, USA Pat. Oct. 8 1895

Stamped on the side of the barrel is: 32S&W,CTGE

Anyone know when these guns were made?
BarkeyVA
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: H&R .32S&W Small Frame 5-shot Revolver-Year made?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

BarkeyVA;

Finally found something that might help. It appears that this H&R is a Second Model Small Frame Hamerless. From the description and serial number, it should be a seventh variation made between 1925 and 1941. Production of the Second Model Small Frame Hamerless started in 1905. Barrel lengths of 3 1/4, 4, 5, and 6 inches were offered. Either full blue or nickel plate finish was available. After 1930, it was listed in the catalogs as HAMMERLESS No. 45 TOP BREAK 32 S&W 5 shot.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Thanks for the detailed information. The fact that the gun was likely made between 1925 and 1941 makes sense. It was owned by my mother-in-law's second husband who died in 1989 at age 99. I think he owned a small grocery store in the 1930's so he might have bought the gun during that time. I tried to post a photo of the gun but it has too much resolution. This web site is the only one that I've found so far that limits the size of photos. If you are interested, provide your email address and I can email the photos to you.

After I posted here, I found the following post on-line that contains some of the same information as you provided:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulle ... ld-designs

(It is post # 5 in the stream which contains other information about H&R revolvers).

H&R HAMMERLESS SECOND MODEL SMALL FRAME TOP BREAK (SMOKELESS POWDER)
- .22 rimfire or .32 S&W cal., 5 (.32 cal.) or 7 (.22 cal.) shot, double top post barrel latch, nickel or blue finish, hard rubber grips with target logo at the top, 3¼ (standard), 4, 5, or 6 in. barrel, rebounding hammer, automatic cylinder stop, caliber marking on left side of barrel, designed for smokeless powder cartridge pressures only. Mfg. 1905-1941.
BarkeyVA
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

BarkeyVA;

Reducing picture size is easy to do and only proper when sending photos over the internet. Just go into your photo editing area and reduce the overall size to screen size so as to not overwhelm someones inbox or website. I get photos all the time that are to big. Some internet providers only allow a certain amount of space per inbox, and when someone sends several photos that are to big, they can get rejected by the provider.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Here it is resized. Barrel is 3-1/4"
BarkeyVA
atvmudder
Beginner

Post by atvmudder »

By the serial number it was likely produced in 1940 or 1941.