Interesting Topic

Pistol related discussion

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Wishbone
Marksman 1st Class

Interesting Topic

Post by Wishbone »

Along with Marlin collecting, I also collect pre-1940 S&W pistols. I thought this topic over on the S&W Collectors forum especially of interest. I would think many here would also.....

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-antiqu ... -same.html

WB
MARLIN - THE GUN FOR THE MAN WHO KNOWS
opoefc
Beginner

Re: Interesting Topic

Post by opoefc »

WB, As you may know from my comments on the S&W Forum and this Marlin Forum, I'm a believer that Marlin obtained their DA revolver frame forgings from the S&W drop forge, using S&W dies. The minor diferences in the finished products are those that were done in the milling stages. The
smoking gun ( pun intended) is the physical comparison of the two revolver models. What's missing is the documentation, which I think may be buried in the archives of S&W at the Conn. Valley Historical Museum in Springfield, MA., where someday researchers will find bills & invoices submitted to Marlin for forge time, etc., circa mid 1870s. Marlin records have been destroyed, so that's a dead end. Ed.
Wishbone
Marksman 1st Class

Re: Interesting Topic

Post by Wishbone »

It's funny how "back in the day" a lot of the firearms manufacturers held hands.
They borrowed employees, used each others equipment, made parts for another company, etc., etc.

WB
MARLIN - THE GUN FOR THE MAN WHO KNOWS