xxx standard 1873

Pistol related discussion

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

bighorn
Beginner

xxx standard 1873

Post by bighorn »

top of barrel reads xxx standard 1873,left side of barrel reads J M Marlin new haven ct. pat july 1 1873.appears to be 32 rim fire 5 shot pistol brass frame cherry wood grip.has anyone have any idea where i would find ser # or have any idea how old this is or it's value.first time here.thank you for any input.
oldwelder
Beginner

Re: xxx standard 1873

Post by oldwelder »

look under the grips and on the cylinder..
I have two of the 32 rim fire I will look again and get back to you.
bighorn
Beginner

Post by bighorn »

thank you much will check it and let you know
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Bighorn;

The XXX Standard of 1872 is a .30 rimfire caliber gun. There are two different cylinder lengths made, a short for the short cartridge and a long cylinder for long cartridges. The barrel marking you list indicates this should be a short cylinder gun.
The serial number can be found on the back of the barrel as well as the cylinder, under the grips, on the grips themselves, and if so inclined, you can remove the locking latch that holds the barrel in place and it is on the latch.
The original wood grips are made of rosewood.
Value will vary widely due to condition.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
bighorn
Beginner

Post by bighorn »

oldwelder and gunrunner thank you both very much i did find numbers in all 4 locations they are macthing and in the three thousand series i have had this gun for 25 years and finnally decided to take a look at it.thanks again.yes gunrunner they are rosewood.
BBoydVaughnFM
Beginner

Re: xxx standard 1872

Post by BBoydVaughnFM »

my grandad left me this adorable little revolver. it seems to have NO serial numbers on it anywhere. JM Marlin New Haven CT USA Pat July 1, 1873. nickel barrel, brass frame, right grip wood, left grip, ivory of faux ivory. it's missing the metal thing that inserts under the barrel. also a screw in the circular disk thing in the frame on the ivory side. very heavily used.
i truly have no serial numbers, i've looked everywhere with magnifying glasses.
i think i have a Variation 2 or 3. I have a photo! i'd like to know what to do about not having serial numbers, and figure out its exact model variation and ballpark value. i would never sell it, it's from my grandad who founded the Hunting Hall of Fame.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

BBoydVauhnFM;

First off, if your Marlin pistol is a XXX Standard, it will be the 3rd variation with the barrel marking you listed. Earlier variations do not have the U.S.A. in the barrel address.
Do not worry about not having a serial number. It is an antique, and many antique firearms were manufactured without serial numbers. Even Marlin made guns prior to 1968 that did not have serial numbers. After 1968, Federal law required all firearms to have serial numbers.
I assume you looked in the places listed in one of the previous posts for a serial number, so you may have a "lunch box special", or a gun that was made in the factory and either made for or by an employee's personal use, for which they may or may not have paid for.
Now, if it is a XXX Standard, it could be either a long or short cylinder to handle either .30 caliber rimfire long and short cartridges, or just short cartridges. You would have to measure the length of the cylinder to know which length you have. Some seem to think that if it is a long cylinder, it would be a 4th variation. I tend to go with the different barrel markings and whether it is a "flatside", Transition (round barrel with non fluted cylinder) or round barrel, fluted cylinder for variations. Long cylinder guns can be found with 2 different barrel markings whereas short cylinders can be found with 3 different barrel markings (4 if you consider the "flatside" barrel marking which is different than the later barrel markings). No sense confusing things, 3 variations is enough to keep track of. When recording serial numbers, I do note whether it is a long or short cylinder and which barrel marking it has. Serial numbers and barrel markings tell me more than length of cylinder.
The ejector rod, mounted under the barrel can be made if you so desire to make the gun "look" correct. I could provide the dimensions for that if desired. I can also tell you what screw to use for the sideplate.
Value will be determined by the overall condition of your gun. Right now, it will not be worth much with mis-matched grips, missing ejector rod.
Hopefully I have no confused you to much.........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.