XX Standard 1873

Pistol related discussion

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Hjudge49
Beginner

XX Standard 1873

Post by Hjudge49 »

I have a Marlin XX Standard 1873 seven shot revolver in .22 short caliber. I have been unable to find any information or value about this revolver. Does anyone on the Forum have any knowledge of this gun?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: XX Standard 1873

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Hjudge49;

The Marlin XX Standard revolver of 1873 was made from 1897 to 1887. There are two distinct variations, the second being the most common. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 26,000 of the XX Standards were manufactured during the production run. There are 3 different barrel markings (on the side) and two different types of cylinder ratchets used during production.
Value is dictated strictly by condition and presence of any factory options like ivory or pearl grips and factory engraving. Without knowing any of the above, it is not possible to give an estimation of value at this time.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
dickaye
Marksman

Post by dickaye »

Flaydermans mentions three variations: Octagon barrel-Non fluted, Round ribbed barrel-Non fluted, and Round ribbed barrel-fluted cylinder. I need to go downstairs and figure which one I have. I'm sure its the most common one. I bought it this year for around $350. Dickaye
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Dickaye;

Flayderman is wrong, (so is Brophy) There are only two variations of the XX Standard. Brophy shows a pictre of what is calledas a XX Transition between the flat side barrel, non-fluted cylinder and the round barrel, fluted cylinder, but that gun does not exist. It was made up from 2 guns to show what one would look like if it did exist. Research has now shown that serial numbers carried on between the variations and there is no room for the Transition version. The quanity figures shown in the books is also wrong for the XXX and XX Standard 1st variations, XXX Standard Transition and the 3rd variation of the XX and XXX Standard. Brophy mentions 2 different barrel markings on the side of the barrel, but there are 3.
Remember, Brophy's book was published in 1989, and with over another 20 years of research, new information has come to light which changes a lot of things.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

"new information has come to light which changes a lot of things"

So true. Then the problem is how do we get this information published so things can be brought up to date?
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.