Square Butt OK Deringer?

Pistol related discussion

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

dickaye
Marksman

Square Butt OK Deringer?

Post by dickaye »

Norm Flayderman claims on page 499-500 of his guide that the OK Deringer with the "square butt" is now known for sure to have been manufactured by Marlin. Is Mr. Flayderman correct? Do we know for sure that this is a Marlin handgun?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Square Butt OK Deringer?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Richard;

In simple terms, NO!!! I have one of those square butt O.K's, and there is NOTHING about them that is like a Marlin made derringer. The only thing that gives anyone the idea that these guns were made by Marlin is the O.K stamping on top of the barrel. Every single one of these guns I have examined is NOT marked with the Marlin name and address on them as Marlin did to all of his products. Oh sure, once in a while you will find a Marlin made handgun without his marking, but they are few and far between. But, as I said, not one of these square butt guns are marked with the Marlin name.
I have disassemble this gun I have and just about everything is different than the Marlin derringers. The rifling is different from what Marlin used in his derringers. the grip screw escutcheon is different, and Marlin used the same escutcheon on ALL of his handguns. The trigger spring is different than the trigger spring that Marlin used on ALL of his spur trigger handguns. The barrel of the square butt gun does not have the flange at the back of the barrel that ALL of the Marlin derringers have.
These guns tend to resemble the Merwin & Bray derringer, which was one of the makers of the Ballard rifle before Marlin. When Marlin took over manufacturing the Ballard for Charles Daly, there may have been some of the parts of the derringer around, and Daly had Marlin finish them out to sell. Then Marlin stamped the barrel with the O.K stamp just to give the gun a name was was common at the time. There is no evidence of this, so there is no way of knowing if this is what happened, but it is one explaination of what could have happened.
Have I convinced you?
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
dickaye
Marksman

Re: Square Butt OK Deringer?

Post by dickaye »

Rick,
Thank you. I think I'll stick with you and your knowledge in this area. I have some other thoughts on the subject, but if I decide to express them I suppose a direct email would be more appropriate than using this site.......