336 RC Info.

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Chuck 100 YD
Beginner

336 RC Info.

Post by Chuck 100 YD »

Friends, I just took in trade a 336 RC , SN.H170xx, Can anyone tell me the year of manufacture and a little about this model in general.
I am a new member to this forum and havent owned a lever gun in 40 years. my last was a 336A that put much game in the frezer.
Thanks, Chuck 100 YD
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

H = 1951 RC= Regular Carbine. Pre cross bolt safety (a plus in my book) the 336 line recently ran off the 4,000,000 rifle and it was tricked out, engraving gold inlays, deluxe wood, deluxe checkering, one of the pretiest rifles I have ever seen. (Went at auction with proceeds donated- for $11,500 If I remember right). Anyhow they are great rifles.
GBOT, GBUSA
Chuck 100 YD
Beginner

Thanks

Post by Chuck 100 YD »

Thanks for the reply Shure-Shot. Does anyone know if the buttstock from a later 336 will fit my 1951 RC? the rifle is in good condition and good bore but the butt stock is missing. I took it in trade for mounting sights on a rolling block,and want to put it back in shooting condition.
I like the Ballard style rifling and the fact that there are no termite holes in the top of the reciever (scope mounting holes). I was thinking of making it into a half magazine rifle and rebarreling to 32-40 or 38-55. any thoughts on that idea? It has about 60% blue with no rust just a lot of carrey wear to the finish.
Thanks, Chuck 100 YD
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Yes, generally in that you could have to do some minor wood to metal adjustment but it will fit. You can get them directly from Marlin or one of the places that make Marlins into take downs as they usually keep the old wood and offer it for sale. I know Wild West Guns does that and I suspect some others as well. As Tomray, another poster recently pointed out to me, the 1895 forarms don't work due to the larger mag tube size. So you would want to find something for the 336 if you want to replace both. Should be no problem on the reline, replacement or rebore as both cartridges were loaded in the 1893, which became the 93, 1936, 36 and then 336.
GBOT, GBUSA