Marlin Firearms model 1897

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Marlin Firearms model 1897

Post by Guest »

I am passing on the rifle, which I received from my grandfather, to my grandson. I would like to get as much information as I can about it so he understands not only what it means to us but how it fits in our country’s history. The rifle is a Marlin Firearms, Model 1897. It has an octagon barrel, SN# 278704. It says "MARLIN SAFETY" on top of the receiver. The patents listed are dated Jan. 18, 1887, April 2, 1889, and Aug. 12, 1892. It’s lever action and has a tube magazine. The sights are open and the front sight is brass. As far as I know it is in it's original condition. Any information would be a great help. I’m just too cheap to pay for a membership, to get the information, and I would use for just this one thing. Thank you in advance.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

The Marlin Model 1897 was made between 1897 and 1915. There were a few assembled from parts on hand during WW I, but then the model was discontinued in favor of the Model 39 in 1921.
About the only thing we can tell you about your specific gun is that it was shipped in mid-1902 with a 24 inch octagon barrel.
I hope this helps.